ECU Rom conversion to allow another Distributor signal type.

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Fusion Ed

ECU Rom conversion to allow another Distributor signal type.

Post by Fusion Ed »

Is anyone able to help me with this:

The CG/GA series ECUs run on a totally different timing pattern to the normal SR/CA engines. I would like to run a SR ECU in a CG/GA series car, but cannot due to the fact that the distributors are incompatible.

Is it possible to rip the code out of the GA ecu that deals with the distributor and put this in the SR ecu to allow one of those to work?

I am having a problem here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1405 and one way or another I need to resolve it.

Or can anyone out there tell me if some of the GA ecus have the traditional 360 / 4sync pulse distributors... as I could use one of those and do a minor conversion to the wiring.

Cheers,

Ed
Matt
Site Admin

Re: ECU Rom conversion to allow another Distributor signal type.

Post by Matt »

probably possible to modify the code but would be a heavily involved process. I would like to run your scenario on the bench (time permitting) if you could shoot through a log file in stream mode showing the rpm, tp, tps and injection time so we can see whats happening
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I would love too, but the customer lives 100+ miles away. however I can replicate this on another K11 micra that I can copy the data from. Its shown very clearly in this dyno printout:

http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/imag ... 11dyno.jpg

If you took the run again but held the load at say 3000 rpm waited for the AFR to fall then it would be fine... It took me ages to work out what was going on at first.

I'll try and get this done in the next week.

As another option I am going to get hold of a bunch of other engine distributors and see if I can find one that will fit the engine (it may be simple I don't know yet) and then pick another SR ecu and use that instead. But even so I would like to solve this issue if possible, as its a bit of a nightmare.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

does it happen on both CG10 and CG13?

I think I have a CG10 ECU here which I would have to run with 2 x Moates until the upgraded programmer arrives back here for the Type 5 board I'm trying to get working
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

If I get the chance tomorrow, I'll rip the top off my development GA16 (N15 pulsar) and have a look at the chopper wheel for you. Depends on the weather ATM, it's been raining for DAYS :(
Should be relativly easy to change the chopper wheel from one vehicle to another, I've done it on RB and CA vehicles before
Stu
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

Fusion,
when you say 360/4 do you mean the 4 cylinder reference has 4 different length slots, or just 3 the same and a long slot for cyl 1 ?

Some early nissans had this style, ET pulsar, DR30 skyline. Your Micra ECU would probably expect to see this style of disc ?
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

skyline_stu, that would be great. I need a GA distributor with 3 the the same and one long slot. for cyl 1 tdc identifier, with 360 around the edge.

The one I have running at the moment has 4 long slots and a 5th short one and no other timing marks, this wont work with any other more common type ecu.

Matt, I believe it will happen with both 1.0 or 1.3 although I have been running the 1.3 ecus. To replicate this on a bench I would try the following.

Set the entire fuel map to 12:1 except below say 2000 rpm approx.
Start at 1000rpm light throttle,
goto 100% WOT
Accelerate quickly to say 6000 rpm. (I guess you'll also need approx afm input as well)
You may notice it does not go rich immediately.

Then:
Start at 1000rpm medium throttle hold for 4-6 sec and you may notice the inj pwm change.
accelerate to 6000 and it should follow the map to the 'red line'

hopefully that makes sense - I typed this in a rush...

I can send you the map if needs be matt.

cheers,

Ed
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm pretty sure you will be right with an N15 GA16DE distributor

It runs this as it's CAS wheel
CASWheel.jpg
(124.42 KiB) Downloaded 8688 times
The n15 has an internal coil in the dizzy cap, but I believe the N14 GA has the same wheel but runs and external "traditional" coil.

Cheers
Ad
skyline_stu

Post by skyline_stu »

Fusion, just confirmed my N15 got the same as Adam's. Looks like your all set to go now. I'd suggest a roll pin be fitted if your CAS has a differing arangements for locking the disc in place, just another measure of security to prevent it moving in service. Simply assemble and drill through the mounting plate and disc, fit a 3/32 pin and your away

Stu
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Interesting so only Europe had the 5 slit GA/CG timing wheel?

skyline_stu and Adam, just to be absolutely clear this distributor came from an Aus N15 GA16DE engine? I will need to change the whole distributor, not just the wheel as those have a two wire output where as the UK GA16 N15 has a single output.

Thanks for the help looks like this will be doable which is great.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fusion Ed wrote:Interesting so only Europe had the 5 slit GA/CG timing wheel?

skyline_stu and Adam, just to be absolutely clear this distributor came from an Aus N15 GA16DE engine? I will need to change the whole distributor, not just the wheel as those have a two wire output where as the UK GA16 N15 has a single output.

Thanks for the help looks like this will be doable which is great.
Yup thats a photo of mine it's an AUS (1998) N15 Series II LX Pulsar (GA16DE). I'm in the process of tig'n up a manifold to bolt a T25 on. (speaking of which do you have any pictures of your setup?)

Hope this helps
CMPS.jpg
(39.85 KiB) Downloaded 8680 times
CMPSWire.jpg
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 8680 times
Cheers
Adam
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

That's great cheers Adam, I'll see if i can find you some pics.

Its a turbo conversion the customer carried out and one I have been working with for a few years. Started of as a perfectly reliable 1.4 turbo then he got the itch for more power killed a few engines and ended up with a 1.6 producing so far about 231bhp. It goes very well indeed but I am having horrific issues with the stock ECU as already mentioned. I am suspect of many of the maps on the CG10/13DE K11 ECU (cold enrichment for example) as it will nearly always flood on a cold morning (stock K11s will do this easily too), and then overriding the main issue is this accel enrichment (or lack of) which seems to cause a huge lean out when under accel which just isn't safe, and so far nothing I can do to fix it.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Just thought I'd update this. Today I fitted that above GA16DE distributor to this engine. I then ripped out the old ECU and fitted a RNN14 ECU. Job done. All the annoying problems are now a bit of history. Would still be nice to see why the old ECUs play up the way they do, but at least its now gone and working for my customer.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey Ed,

Good to hear it's solved. How does the car perform now?
I'm sure you have a happy client now.

Ad
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Well unfortunately the dyno was fully booked today so I didn't get a power run. However it was immediately smoother and more to the point actually under my full control. It was running a bar of boost on stock compression, and at the same boost on the last ecu made around 230bhp@fly. I love the RNN14 ecu's you can run them on just about anything, and they behave exactly as they should do.

So cheers for your help, Dale the customer is much much happier now. The car finally went away with no 'issues' and worked just as it should have in the first place.