A Guide to Cheap DIY Datalogging

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

ricardomendes

Re: A Guide to Cheap DIY Datalogging

Post by ricardomendes »

using the temperature sensor DS18B20 i need to change the DLP signal and connect as it says in dlp manual or just plug in as normal 0-5v sensor and make the table in nistune?
Torque

Post by Torque »

I can recommend the Innovate AuxBox.

Hooks into the MTS chain (Yes, Nistune can read boost directly),

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lma3.php
The whole thing is configurable via a PC.
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

Heh, what a coincidence. I was just about to post that is there any plans for making simple 0-5 Volt auxillary sensing interface in nistune :D

I was thinking to use arduino or other mcu for this. But anyway, what is the best source for that PLD board? Mouser and Digi key increase extra 20-30 USD for shipping. I want shipping to finland, thanks :D
Torque

Post by Torque »

I think you can utilize all channels the AuxBox has on offer, these are available via the MTS-Chain where Nistune hooks in...
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

Great info!
What are you guys using for EGT amplifying? Link in original post doesn't work anymore... My Techedge WB has EGT inputs but unfortunately they don't work somehow...
ricardomendes

Post by ricardomendes »

i´m using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-Temp ... 3a678715cb to see the EGT like a gauge, and the screen have the right measure to put on the vent on the s13 dash.
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

I'd love more smth. that could be logged :)
Torque

Post by Torque »

The AuxBox does EHG, circuitry is build in.

Also Boost/Vacuum, Accel (G-Meter), and a number of analogue channels.
It's a great device and comes at a good price.

Vetal wrote:Great info!
What are you guys using for EGT amplifying? Link in original post doesn't work anymore... My Techedge WB has EGT inputs but unfortunately they don't work somehow...
djstatic

Post by djstatic »

I was just reading this page:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/info/accelerometers
Has anyone connected an accelerometer to the DLP A/D converter?
PL

Post by PL »

I haven't, but there's no reason why you couldn't do it. As long as the output is between 0 and 5V.

PL
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

Guys, any cheap source of EGT amplifiers? Cheapest I found was on VEMS site but it's a bit odd... Price was 19€
PL

Post by PL »

Traditionally an AD595 thermocouple amp chip is used. Made by Analog Devices, who are not known for making cheap chips! In small qty these chips can be around the $20ea mark. Obviously cheaper in larger qty but the thermocouple amp chip price will determine the bottom line for most devices you can buy off the shelf.

The AD595 has kinda become the industry standard as it's easy to work with and gives an analog output that can be fed straight into devices like the DLP-IO. There are other chips around that I've not used like the MAX6675 but even they seem to be around the $10ea mark. And they're serial out, so need a micro to read the data out.

Just my 2c worth. I'm sure there'll be a Chinese equivalent out there somewhere for 5c if you look hard enough...
PL
djstatic

Post by djstatic »

PL wrote:I haven't, but there's no reason why you couldn't do it. As long as the output is between 0 and 5V.
So a sensor like this will work??
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4226

hmm maybe I need a gyro too
PL

Post by PL »

Well it works with 5V supply, so that's good cos you can just use the 5V from the DLP-IO like we do for the Freescale pressure sensor. But you'll have to find out what sort of output it uses. You need a 0 to 5V analog output. I'm guessing that thing would have a digital output, in which case you'd need a micro to read it.

PL
Vetal

Post by Vetal »

PL wrote:Traditionally an AD595 thermocouple amp chip is used. Made by Analog Devices, who are not known for making cheap chips! In small qty these chips can be around the $20ea mark. Obviously cheaper in larger qty but the thermocouple amp chip price will determine the bottom line for most devices you can buy off the shelf.

The AD595 has kinda become the industry standard as it's easy to work with and gives an analog output that can be fed straight into devices like the DLP-IO. There are other chips around that I've not used like the MAX6675 but even they seem to be around the $10ea mark. And they're serial out, so need a micro to read the data out.

Just my 2c worth. I'm sure there'll be a Chinese equivalent out there somewhere for 5c if you look hard enough...
PL
$20 is fine, but that AD595 chip alone is not enough, isn't it?