Anyone upgrade their stock coil pack?

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

fwlrmusic

Anyone upgrade their stock coil pack?

Post by fwlrmusic »

So I've been having a lot of success tuning my GTI-R and now I've upped the boost to 20psi. I'm experiencing misfires at this higher boost level and even gapping the plugs down to 24 thou hasn't resolved the issue. I'm running fairly rich 10.8:1 with a lot of methanol injection since the fuel here is garbage. The engine has JE Forged 10:1 compression so in order to get any amount of timing into it without knock I've had to richen it up to this level. I know that I might be able to lean it out a tad more and that might help get the plug to spark, but I'd rather try to up the spark energy and keep my pig rich mixture.

I was contemplating upgrading the stock coil pack to something like the MSD Blaster 2 (https://www.holley.com/products/ignitio ... parts/8202)

I can't seem to find much information on people running these coils or if they would even help me in these situations. I had a few questions:

Anyone have first hand experience with this or any other upgraded ignition system that keeps the stock distributor?
Do I need to run the ballast resistor?
Do I need to change the dwell time in Nistune?

Thanks!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Anyone upgrade their stock coil pack?

Post by Matt »

You can try a slight increase in dwell time on the standard coil and see how that goes. I've not had much feedback from using other systems, except some can cause connection issues
fwlrmusic

Post by fwlrmusic »

Thanks Matt.

How does this look?
Attachments
dwell time.PNG
(19.74 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Do the dwell time map (vs battery)

I've adjusted 10% here to start with
Attachments
2021-07-12 07_16_42-Nistune [RNN14 (SR20DET) (Version_ 3)].png
(51.54 KiB) Downloaded 525 times