1990 180sx consult port

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

ozzlepops

1990 180sx consult port

Post by ozzlepops »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post as a brand new Nistune user and it's not a great one...

I have a 1990 Nissan 180sx that originally had a ca18det and was swapped to an sr20det. I have had it off the road for a couple of years doing a few upgrades such as injectors, turbo, FMIC etc. and I'm now ready to start tuning and get it on the road. Unfortunately I went to go plug my laptop in over the weekend and could not for the life of me find the consult port. After many googles I found out that 1989-1990 180sx with the ca18 did not come with a consult port, so when my sr20 was swapped in they changed the ecu and engine harness to suit but left the rest of the ca body and dash loom factory.

Does anyone know a solution to this issue? I have read that it's possible to wire in a consult port directly to the ecu based on the Nistune provided pin out, but hoping to run that idea past a few of you knowledgeable people first before I start messing with ecu harnesses.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: 1990 180sx consult port

Post by Matt »

Yeah those CA18DET ECUs did not have Consult. It wasn't around yet, so that is why you don't have a consult port

You will need to borrow one from a 1990-1996 Nissan (wrecking yard) and wire it to the consult plug. Instructions:
http://nistune.com/docs/MAF_and_Consult_pinouts.pdf
ozzlepops

Post by ozzlepops »

Thanks Matt,

Glad I'm not going crazy. Now for the hard part.

Cheers
PL

Post by PL »

Don't worry - it's not that hard. Local tuners here keep a few Consult ports on hand and wiring them is often done "on the fly" with the car already on the dyno. It's just 3 signal wires plus power and GND.

PL