hi! from a newbie in canada. rb25det neo, in 240sx

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

polemite

Re: hi! from a newbie in canada. rb25det neo, in 240sx

Post by polemite »

well, looks like i couldn't beat the clock. snow is on the way, and i'm not quite done yet. no driving for 2020.

custom fab takes waaaaaay longer than i anticipated. fun though. i'm now half-decent at welding stainless and aluminum.

i sure do wish someone other than plazmaman made these front facing plenums for the neo... or that they would just sell a more complete kit.
i can live with making my own mount for the iacv, but the coolant splitter, and the vac/boost fitting scenario sucks. not enough ports to feed everything, and they don't supply the right size fittings for 3 out of the 5 things that need a boost reference. gotta make a vacuum manifold now too. oh well. sure will be nice when it's done.
PL

Post by PL »

Shame you didn't get done in time. Fab work (done properly) can be hugely time consuming.

But I find it very rewarding when it all goes together, fits properly and works as intended.

PL
tsuokun

Post by tsuokun »

Condolences for missing a season. I am sure your patience and diligence will be rewarded come spring though.

If you don't mind, I would love to see some pictures of your build. I am still thinking about that Plazmaman manifold top myself.

Regarding this question you had about the water lines, I am 95% sure that the water input comes from the block and exit goes to the intake manifold. Reasoning is that the intake manifold water area is in direct connection to the upper radiator hose. As this response is greatly delayed, I suspect you must have already sorted that out anyway.
polemite wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:45 pm hey guys,
found some interesting info about turbo clocking on the garrett website. they say 20 degrees off of vertical gives you a nice cooling effect, if your coolant outlet is on the high side. scroll about half way down the page to get to the relevant section of this article https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-an ... our-turbo/

so now i'm just wondering if anyone can confirm the coolant flow direction for the turbo?
does it go
block>turbo>intake runners
or
intake runners>turbo>block
?
polemite

Post by polemite »

yeah guys, the build has been a great consolation to not driving. it's been a lot of fun learning to fab and machine stuff.

i did sort out the coolant flow, but thanks for answering.

when i'm ready, i'm going to fire it back up on the stock fuel rail/injectors/damper/regulator/pump. but i do have a set of deatschwerks 440's that are supposed to drop right in.... however, i read somewhere that a guy should stay away from deatschwerks. any opinions on that? i have found a source for bosch ev14 650's here in canada that should also drop in. not in a rush at this point, but the injectors will definitely be the next bottleneck.
Attachments
engine bay 4.jpg
(190.81 KiB) Downloaded 1393 times
PL

Post by PL »

Injector choice for NEO engines is easy these days. Just get a set of used R35 GTR injectors from one of the places in your area that tunes R35's. These are 570cc and an exact fit - including connectors. So no mods needed to anything.

They are a modern injector so they have 12 holes in the end - giving a good spray pattern and atomisation. They tune up lovely, giving perfect idle and low load/closed loop performance. I recommended these to all the local guys I tune for and they always work well. I've also done a couple RB30's with these (need accessory fuel rail) with great results. Makes the old RB30 run better than it ever did from factory!

PL
polemite

Post by polemite »

Well that sounds really great. Only problem is that the nearest tuner is 4 hours away, and I’d be surprised if there’s even 6 gtr’s within an 8hr radius of me, let alone modified gtr’s. but I’ll try doing some online shopping for them. Thanks.
polemite

Post by polemite »

are these the real deal? seems a bit too good to be true. they claim to be 550cc instead of 570cc, but maybe that's just because of their testing setup?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-X-Fuel-Inject ... Swdvlfcu8-
PL

Post by PL »

Well you know how the saying goes "If it seems too good to be true then it probably is". They smell of Chinesium to me...

We were getting them locally off eBay (Australia). Some guy had a connection to one of the local tuners and was flogging off genuine used sets for $AU200 - $AU300 a set. No more from him at present but I see some others now for sale claiming to be genuine, so I'd go with something like that I think. These say genuine Denso and "Made in Japan". Good enough for me. They're calling them "remanufactured" but go on to say that it's just slapping on some new O rings and giving them a clean/test. Sounds plausible.

See if this link works for you. They're in the right price range...

PL

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-x-570CC-F ... SwhvNfREdR
polemite

Post by polemite »

thanks again. yeah, that link works, and it looks like they'll do international shipping too, which is good, but i recently got burned hard by canada customs on taxes for another order i just made... so if i can, i'd like to source some in canada. gonna shop around a bit more.

these are the bosch ev14's i can get up here. a little more money, but if they're worth it i'd go for them. once again though, i have no idea how to spot the fake stuff when it comes to injectors... this is the only source i've found for them, so i have no idea what the average price is for a genuine set.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/650cc-Bosch-EV1 ... 1438.l2649
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah fair enough. Those EV14's look good. You can often tell just from the price. If it's too cheap then beware. Genuine Bosch EV14 or ID injectors always perform well.

Things to look for are "hi-flowed" and "matched set". It's been common practice for people to take small injectors (cheap) and drill them out (or knock the caps off). These are then called "hi flowed". Results obviously vary hugely. Then what they do it flow test each injector and put the ones that flow the same together. Then you have your "matched set". It sounds good on the surface but all that's really happening is their process is so random that flow rates vary and they have to sell them in sets so there's at least some chance that they'll perform the same. Maybe.

Back when injectors were over $200ea people were up to all sorts of hideous acts. But now that genuine Bosch injectors are quite cheap it's too easy to just buy genuine UNMODIFIED Bosch injectors and be happy. Not quite as cost effective as the R35 GTR injectors but if you can't get those then go Bosch every time.

Just be aware that the Chinese are onto this big time. There are copies of almost every injector type out there. These will cost you an engine very easily. Try to buy from authorised Bosch dealers and look for those magical words - genuine and unmodified. Beware of sellers who claim that they make their own injectors - realistically there are only a handful of manufacturers out there. Bosch, Delphi, Siemens, JECS. And some others. It's not like every tuning shop has the engineering budget to design their own. So when you see places claiming that injectors are their own brand it's best to be careful. The Chinese will put any name you want on their cheap landfill junk.

I'll get off my little injector soap box now...

PL
polemite

Post by polemite »

thanks again!

that's a big help. i feel like i'm armed with the right questions to ask now.

i'll fire off an email to the tuner i plan to eventually use and ask if they have some oem gtr's, and then go from there.
polemite

Post by polemite »

well i now have to say thank you for the tip about the r35 injectors

i contacted the tuner (3.5hrs away), to ask if they had any r35 injectors left behind, and it turned out that they did! so now i have a set from a 2015 gtr on the way.

what do you think about the o-rings? should i just changed them out, or are they typically ok?
PL

Post by PL »

Aaaah good to hear! :)

It's always good practice to replace them but in reality I usually have a good look at them (pref with eyeglass or some sort of magnifying aid) and if they look OK I re-use them. Never had a problem. Check that they are free of splits and have a nice round cross-section. If they have a flat on them then definitely replace. But R35's are not very old, so chances are they'll be fine. All the used sets I've had have been perfect.

Just be sure to lube them up a bit with your favourite grease/oil before fitting and ease them in carefully. Lots of guys just slam them in dry and that's when they get damaged and cause leaks.

PL
polemite

Post by polemite »

awesome! great to hear. thanks again for the advice.
polemite

Post by polemite »

well i'm finally at the point where i've been test running the engine. sounds great on 3" straight pipe at the moment. haha.

had a bit of an issue chasing a high idle problem. fast idle was 2000, and warm idle was 1500. also has an intermittent misfire.

changed out the coils to a set of audi r8, and that cleaned up the misfire, and dropped 500rpm.

long story short, i think i got the idle sorted out after exercising the iacv through nistune, and bleeding the coolant at the iacv.

after that, i seem to have a big bog/hesitation if i stab the throttle quick. revs up ok if i roll into it slowly.

i ran out of time at that point, so i'm going to go back out and collect data today.

do you guy think that the larger turbo inlet tubes could be messing with the oem maf? i figured that if the maf housing is still the original size, the calibration should still be the same, but that's just my assumption.