EDM S14a SR20DET>SR20DE conversion

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

jj205mi

EDM S14a SR20DET>SR20DE conversion

Post by jj205mi »

Hi all, i have a UK s14a originally fitted with a SR20DET and i have (as a temporary measure) fitted an S15 sr20de. i am using the loom and CAS/coil packs from the s14a as well as the ECU with my Nistune fitted.

What map should i use? i could only find a s14 sr20de map in the software and it does'nt seem compatible as i get an error message when i try to upload it. (im guessing due to different board type)

i am a complete Novice and this was my first attempt to use the software today, so any advice is welcome. i assumed it would run on a sr20det map if i resized the injectors, it smelled very rich, but i found the plugs to be very knackered so im putting that down to why it didn't run. ill replace the plugs anyway. as i say this is only a temporary measure, but hoping it will learn me a bit about the software.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: EDM S14a SR20DET>SR20DE conversion

Post by Matt »

You cannot simply take a file from one type of ECU and load it into another.... as you found out

You would need to open two copies of Nistune (one with S14 SR20DE maps, and other with S14A SR20DET connected to ECU). Then copy maps manually from one to the other

Things like K constant need manual adjustment, and cannot be copied
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

Thanks Matt, yeah I learned the hard way as usual.

So what's the best way to do that? Can I select the whole map and copy / paste it or is it cell by cell. Anything else I should look out for while doing this?

Sorry for the basic questions , you must get fed up answering the same stuff all the time.
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

im going to change the injectors to the 370cc DET ones so the car should start and idle on the SR20DET map yes? then all i'd need to do is adjust the fuelling and timing map to fine tune i guess?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Do the operations > resize injectors for the change

With the maps select all (CTRL-A) and then copy (CTRL-C) and paste into the other Nistune
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

Got the car running at the weekend, I fitted a turbo to the DE, also fitted an HPX maf which has maxed out the k constant I guess because of the injectors and afm combination.

Still only have the de injectors I’ll fit the 370cc ones this weekend and see how it goes from there.

Just an update as it seems a bit quiet on here.

No problems as of yet
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

which has maxed out the k constant I guess because of the injectors and afm combination.
HPX has a huge amount of airflow measuring potential, but you will probably end up scaling back your K constant based on what load the engine actually does.

When you do your dyno pulls and see how far the cursor goes on the load (TP) scale, you may end up pulling K constant lower so it doesn't run up the edge. When you pull K lower, then offset TIM (higher) to put the fueling back in
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

Ive replaced the injectors with the std turbo ones, the car is running much better, i pulled the k constant back a bit and have it idling well around 14.5-7 AFR. cant drive the car yet but its a huge step forward for me at least :D .

i dont have the TIM on mine yet as i haven't had the feature pack installed. ill get this done soon though.

also bought a Phormula KS3 knock sensor to try and help me with tuning it eventually
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

Well the car is on the road now, and is running pretty well considering all i have really done is put the changes into Nistune and let it work it what it needs, only thing i have done is adjust the load scales on the MAF as per the video on youtube when using the HPX maf.

Although while it drives good, if you go past 50% throttle it goes very rich, so i'm just wondering if this is a scaling issue, or is it something i need to do with the fuel table, i've tried adjusting it a few times but always ends up running into the 9s on the AFR gauge.

current spec is:
standard s15 sr20de running s14 cas and coils
s15spec r injectors
HPX N1 MAF in the hot side intercooler pipe
GT2871r

ill attach the file if anyone has any ideas or fancies a look, any help appreciated.

John
Attachments
current tune 18 05 19.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What size pipe is the HPX N1 installed in? What curve did you select? It shows as 'unknown' in the tune file you posted

If it goes rich then the curve may be too 'steep' perhaps and the sizing does not match the pipe/bung size. At a guess
jj205mi

Post by jj205mi »

I used the 3" HPXn1 and z32 load, changed the load scaling to 40% as per your you tube video just to try and see if it made any difference, but it was basically the same, dropping into the low 9s on the AFR gauge and choking itself. It runs really well up to half throttle, as daft as it sounds :lol:
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I haven't made a youtube video, someone else's. But normally I would leave as Z32 load and then adjust K constant until the cursor reaches the end of the load map
jj205mi

Re: EDM S14a SR20DET>SR20VET conversion

Post by jj205mi »

Back into this again, this time my engine I was building with the VE head fitted.

ImageSR20VET running by John Johnstone, on Flickr

I’ve converted it to single solenoid and have the VCT output controlling it, that seems to be working fine.

Same hpx N1 in a 3” pipe on the cold side cooler pipe
Bosch ev14 980cc injectors

The car runs and idles, mixtures are a bit all over the place sitting at idle it can vary from 12-15afr, I adjusted injector latency thinking this was the issue but doesn’t seem to have made a huge difference.

Any help or thoughts appreciated
Attachments
Feature pack.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Injection latency is done once you have cruising mixtures looking good (around 14.7:1). So set that up firstly and then latency afterwards