LC-1 Wiring: What gets hooked up/what doesn't?

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

hadman

LC-1 Wiring: What gets hooked up/what doesn't?

Post by hadman »

Hey Matt (and others who want to chime in).

I'm just getting ready to wire in the stripped leads from the LC-1 and I'm wondering... what are the necessary wires to tap in to the ecu with my type 1 board? Are there any that don't need to be wired in?
I have been doing my reading, but I have a habit of second guessing myself and could just use the reinforcement.

Thanks for your help.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

no wires get tapped in

just use the serial connection and plug that into your PC (either directly or via serial-USB adaptor)

i have to admit the LC-1 would have been cleaner if they included the calibration switch as part of the wiring instead of as a solder in yourself job
hadman

Post by hadman »

Ok thanks. It was my understanding that unless the sensor is receiving power it will damage it quickly, so it should not be left in the bung unpowered.
I thought the wiring had to be connected full time, as is the case when doing a calibration.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

yes if permanently installing it will need to be powered all the time otherwise the sensor will get damaged. so you need to have power/ground wired into the ignition system

the serial wires can be plugged into nistune as required
hadman

Post by hadman »

Can anyone verify which 'Ground' wires from the LC-1 get grounded?
I assumed it's both: Blue Heater Ground and White System Ground, but I want to make sure.
Having some connectivity issues still. Using a serial to USB converter. Converter shows up properly in devices on COM4 and Nistune sees it there as well, but I keep getting 'no data - check serial connection' messages.
hadman

Post by hadman »

To answer my own question regarding connectivity issues with the LC-1. I have been reading that not all Serial to USB cables are created equal - some work some don't.
Innovate uses a serial connector because it is less volatile to electrical spikes than USB. The problem for the modern day laptop owner, however, is many newer laptops do not include a serial port. So the key is finding a stable Serial/USB converter, or... use a laptop that has a serial port.
I have only tried one converter at this point, which doesn't work, so I will try and hunt one down that does and will report back if I find success.
Hopefully it's the cable that produces a fix and not a poor wiring job on my part.
hadman

NO LUCK! Not even direct with serial connection.

Post by hadman »

This LC-1 is pissing me off.

I have power going to a 'switched' 12V.
I have the heater and system grounds grounded.
I have the terminator plug firmly seated in the IN port of the LC-1 Lambda cable.
I have tried 2 Serial to USB converters, and failing that, used an older laptop to attempt a direct serial connection.
All COM ports are aligned.

All I get over and over is "No Real Time Data Detected"

What's the next 'NIStune Recommended' wideband device? I am just about ready to give up with this WB.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Is that with the LogWorks software you are getting this message?

I just want to make sure you are having these issues in logworks software first and then if you get it all working with that then try Nistune afterwards

I would be contacting innovate firstly regarding error you see due to LC-1 and LogWorks if that is the problem

Nistune in theory shouldnt work any differntly than LogWorks2 since we use the same SDK/DLLs
hadman

Post by hadman »

Matt wrote:Is that with the LogWorks software you are getting this message?

I just want to make sure you are having these issues in logworks software first and then if you get it all working with that then try Nistune afterwards

I would be contacting innovate firstly regarding error you see due to LC-1 and LogWorks if that is the problem

Nistune in theory shouldnt work any differntly than LogWorks2 since we use the same SDK/DLLs
Yes, that's the error message I get from Logworks. I've left a couple of messages on the Innovate forum in their support section, but they are very slow to answer. I was surprised even with a direct serial connection I got the same message. Maybe the unit is a dud.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Does it do it only with engine running? How long does it take before you get that error?
hadman

Post by hadman »

Matt wrote:Does it do it only with engine running? How long does it take before you get that error?
Engine on or off - same. Error happens as soon as I try to connect to Logworks.
I've tried both with auto-connect on COM4, and manual connect.

I've heard of various combinations working. I might try starting the car with laptop powered and cables connected first before plugging in power to LC-1. Instead of powering the LC-1 at ignition.

Conversely, I've also heard powering the heater to allow it to warm up before connecting 'sometimes' works.
Rather annoying that I have to jump through hoops taking guesses at at magic combinations that allows it to work. It's certainly not something that Innovate documents.

On a forum side note Matt, I always check 'Notify me when a reply is posted', but never get notified. Anything I can do on my side to fix that?
hadman

Post by hadman »

Update. In the last day I was able to finally get some readings from the WB. However, the issue I am now having is, both Logworks and NIStune are seeing erratic AFR Values, which roll at a rapid pace from 0 to 20.9 and back. This sequence never stops.

Can someone please tell me what this is symptomatic of?
hadman

Post by hadman »

Because I enjoy asking and then finding the answer before anyone answers haha... I found out the erratic scrolling of numbers I'm seeing is typical of a incorrect calibration. Makes sense. I thought it was possible there was 'interference' in the signal. Anyway, I have yet to recalibrate the sensor but hopefully that is what it turns out to be.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Do an open air calibration on the unit

I've had the same issue where it just hangs up on me and I have to take it out and leave it, recalibrate and the put it back

It gets some sync error with both software (Logworks/Nistune)

I added some more accurate error reporting in the latest beta versions including warmup % and descriptive error messages for anything reported from the innovate unit to assist with diagnosis