Interesting cold start timing issue... need help!

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Herb-86T

Interesting cold start timing issue... need help!

Post by Herb-86T »

My car seems to suffer from cold start hesitation pretty badly, almost undrivable until warm. However, sometimes it is fine.. I was finally able to capture it in a log and noticed that between about 40 and 50 degrees c, when opening the throttle, the ecu does not advance timing at all, it will remain at idle gear timing (15 degrees for my setup). once it hits 50 degrees, the timing will suddenly advance and correspond to what is shown on the timing map and will run fine. When its colder than 40ish, it will operate normally as well, and run OK. This is really odd, my TPS is functioning correctly under these circumstances, and i have no trouble codes shown. any idea what could cause this to happen in this temperature window, and be somewhat intermittent? CHTS also seems to be fine, as im always getting normal readings displayed in the consult guages display. TP varies, AFM signal varies and TPS opens and closes but timing will remain constant no matter what. If i drive it hard, it will clear up over a certain rpm, probably near about 2800, but will continue to run like shit untill warm or held above this rpm level.

EDIT: also, when at idle, (tps on) timing is advanced as per cold start table. once tapping the throttle, it goes to 15 deg and stays there.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

its a known nissan 'feature' using a separate timing table when cold. i'm looking into it and how i can add more control over when and how it is used

im currently studying/documenting R32/Z32/Z31 at the moment regarding these issues... hope to post some info up soon with updated address files
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

Nissan uses min temp, rpm and tp values to tell/force the ecu to use the idle timing maps. What happens when you adjust the k value and the tp scales the min tp value now ends up being in the 3rd or 4th tp column while stock is just over the first tp column value. The min tp value needs to be changed to represent the new load scales.
Herb-86T

Post by Herb-86T »

Ive left my scales stock, and my ttpmin is scaled down below the first column. i think at 8 or 9. would this cause a problem?
Herb-86T

Post by Herb-86T »

Bump, any new info on this problem?
Freek

Post by Freek »

viewtopic.php?t=1061

I have the same thing with my SR20 and type 3 board.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

its still on my list to investigate. I need to have another play around with Z31 ECU soon