Automated Power Balance Test feature Suggestion...

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

OEM_Z

Automated Power Balance Test feature Suggestion...

Post by OEM_Z »

A feature that would do an automatic (custumizable or preprogrammed) power balance test. Heres what I would suggest: The ecu takes a baseline average idle reading first. When you click a button the ecu would systematically drop each cylinder one at a time for a period of (10 seconds or user defined period) 10 seconds then records and displays the average rpm "drop" reading per cylinder. There should probably be some delay between each cylinder test so the engine "normalizes" before the next cylinder test reading. The purpose really is to have an actual number display for the average cylinder rpm drop. Possible implement a save feature for this as well as a print feature. What do you think Matt?
Welcome to My DARKSIDE.....
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

I know this was posted a little while ago but it surely was thinking outside the box. Plus I dont think it would be as difficult to impliment as some of the other ideas like me and the others try to wish and beg for.

This would be software based, like something on the laptop, that performs the function through consult and then datalogs and then does calculations off of that. You would however need to lock the iacv, also remove any type of self learn possibility out of the equation and I would think you would want the timing locked during the baseline and during the operations. This would keep all the variables out of the equation.

Its already great that nistune has some diagnostics capablities built in, something that allot of standalones lack. I like to highlight the fact that nistune still is your stock ecu, and that you still have diagnostics capabilities with it due to that.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Eric has done this already in his Conzult application. From memory he graphs the RPM as each cylinder drops so then you can diagnose it

Sounds like you may be able to issue a diagnostic command, and register command in the single command sequence and then stream it. Not too sure if all ECUs do that but may be possible

Added to the list...
J30_VG33ET

Post by J30_VG33ET »

Just a suggestion: if the authority were available, it seems like a good idea to not only fix ignition timing and AFR thru the testing process, but also raise the idle speed sufficiently to get beyond variability induced by big cams and insensitive MAF's. The software could drive the IAC motor all the way open...
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

J30_VG33ET wrote:Just a suggestion: if the authority were available, it seems like a good idea to not only fix ignition timing and AFR thru the testing process, but also raise the idle speed sufficiently to get beyond variability induced by big cams and insensitive MAF's. The software could drive the IAC motor all the way open...
sounds good too, but leave an option to leave the the idle where its at as well. Some of us that deleted our iacv's wouldnt benefit from this if has to raise the idle.

And for the engines that use cop, could we disable the spark and the injector as well just in case an injector is leaking a bit were not getting any power out of that cylender?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

idle speed is typically raised through introducing more timing. alterning the target idle table should achieve this for you using cams by increasing target idle RPM

IAC valve wouldnt be so easy to change (and make stick). These values are only RAM (temporary) so dont form a permanent solution (but is worth investigating further)