Consult active test - should it work?

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

RobH

Consult active test - should it work?

Post by RobH »

Evening all. Just got my ancient Z32 back on the road and the guy doing the MOT test seemed to think there was an engine problem causing bad emissions at idle. I suspect an injector or a coil pack.

I wanted to use the active test to try knocking out the cylinders but doing pretty much anything with active test seems to stall the engine. The car otherwise seems to run ok, a slight, intermittent miss at idle is all I have noticed. My question is, should the active test work with a Z32 TT using NisTune 0.9264 (I'm about to upgrade). Is there some documentation for the active test, I may be using it completely incorrectly..?

One last Q? I read someone else's post regarding injector latency which seemed to suggest 1500 micro seconds is more than double what is expected, I have adjusted my latency (Venom 550cc) to 700 micro seconds (which is what Venom vaguely suggested, I wasn't confident they knew what they were talking about) and found it idles much better at 700 or lower. Does this sound about right or have a I corrected a different problem by reducing the latency?

TIA!

RobH
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The active test code has a known problem report against it in my spreadsheet (I've had running issues on the Z32/S14)

You tick the box that you want to test and then press START. It then stops regular consult and runs the active test until STOP is pressed

Well thats the way its meant to work
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hi Matt, thanks, I did try this last night with limited success. Some cylinders drop the revs a bit and some drop them a lot or stall the engine. I don't think I can rely on these results. I've gone back to pulling connectors off - I feel a bit more confident with this ;-)

I recorded a log last night that showed an occasional drop in MAF to 0V, is this normal? I have a problem with one bank of cylinders 'popping' a bit (prob just 1 cylinder), I suspect an injector prob, I know this isn't the place for this question but could it be anything else?

Cheers

RobH
Dark Diver

Post by Dark Diver »

RobH, do you still run with your Venom injectors ? There are many horror stories about them, and even one of my Z-friends blew his engine with them. They are not reliable and not balanced.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

drops in MAF voltage is not normal. if you have a wideband with aux input you can plug the signal directly into this and log to double check if its MAF or ECU fault

yes i need to get active tests work better. i'll move to the top of my list if you need to use it again
Dark Diver

Post by Dark Diver »

It would be very nice if Nistune included all tests Consult/Conzult have. Thus we'll use only 1 software.

I used the Conzult's active test to find my #4 cylinder was dead. It's fully automatic : it switches between cylinders, measures RPM drops and indicates which cylinders could be bad (based on RPM drops).
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've added this as an enhancement to the list... in the interim ive done code changes to get active tests working properly now in the latest release
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

RobH wrote:Hi Matt, thanks, I did try this last night with limited success. Some cylinders drop the revs a bit and some drop them a lot or stall the engine. I don't think I can rely on these results. I've gone back to pulling connectors off - I feel a bit more confident with this ;-)

I recorded a log last night that showed an occasional drop in MAF to 0V, is this normal? I have a problem with one bank of cylinders 'popping' a bit (prob just 1 cylinder), I suspect an injector prob, I know this isn't the place for this question but could it be anything else?

Cheers

RobH
I have experienced the same thing with reguard to teh cylinder turn off test. If you turn off cylinder X first then turn it back on everything is fine, if you proceed to turn off another cylinder X, rpms drop alot and then you turn it back on everything is ok again, then you turn off another cylinder X and the car will most likely stall, something is wrong here.

Using Conzult or ScanTechNissan for this same test has very different results which act more like you directly disconnecting individual injectors.

If this is old news sorry to bring it up.