Cannot connect LM-2 to Nistune

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

UNISA JECS

Cannot connect LM-2 to Nistune

Post by UNISA JECS »

For the life of me I need help I can't figure out why I cannot connect my wideband to Nistune.

The laptop im using is a Dell Inspirion 5100 and it has 2 USB ports, 1 I use to connect to Nistune threw consult and the other I am trying to use for Logworks/Innovate...

Im not really to smart when it comes to the computer stuff so I took some screen shots, hopefully this helps.

Sorry for all the pictures, I've tried adding COM PORTS changing them and nothing, at first I didn;t even show COM PORTS in device manager until I added them and then PLMS Consult showed on COM 5 and that works perfect no probelms there. Its just getting the wideband to work, thanks in advance.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for all the pictures. They appear a little out of order, but it actually gives me more information to work from

As you can tell your "Innovate LM-2-Air/Fuel Meter" device has installed correctly

But picture number 7 is showing 'Found new hardware' problem after installing your wideband unit. I think it did not install the COM port for that device properly

What should happen after installing this is that a COM port should be assigned to this USB device

This should show up under 'Ports'

Now I can see from Picture 10, a list of ports and COM1 showing up here. This has an exclaimation mark (!) next to it. Right click on this one and reinstall your drivers for the Innovate unit. It might ask to point to where your drivers are located on your Innovate CDROM

You should not be assigning COM5 to your Innovate Wideband since that is your consult port. It should be COM1 once you have got that COM port showing with no errors against it

So try reinstalling drivers against COM1 then select that as your wideband port inside NIStune and connecting to that
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Thanks for all the pictures. They appear a little out of order, but it actually gives me more information to work from

As you can tell your "Innovate LM-2-Air/Fuel Meter" device has installed correctly

But picture number 7 is showing 'Found new hardware' problem after installing your wideband unit. I think it did not install the COM port for that device properly

What should happen after installing this is that a COM port should be assigned to this USB device

This should show up under 'Ports'

Now I can see from Picture 10, a list of ports and COM1 showing up here. This has an exclaimation mark (!) next to it. Right click on this one and reinstall your drivers for the Innovate unit. It might ask to point to where your drivers are located on your Innovate CDROM

You should not be assigning COM5 to your Innovate Wideband since that is your consult port. It should be COM1 once you have got that COM port showing with no errors against it

So try reinstalling drivers against COM1 then select that as your wideband port inside NIStune and connecting to that
Yea they are out of order, sorry about that. Actually I had zero com ports in device manager to begin with until I actually went in and manually added threw control panel "add hardware" and I added a few com ports to see if this was the problem since they didn't exist in the first place. (In picture 6 you can see all the extra com ports I added in trying to see if this was the problem).

In Nistune "file/configuration" the only option is COM 5, it almost appears to me that there just insn;t another COM port available.

In picture 4 and 6 you can see that Innovate LM-2 Air/Fuel Meter installed to the "Sound, video and game controllers" I thought that was strange or is that correct?

Also in Logworks Programmer it did show COM 5 and LM2 USB from the drop down menu, but in Nistune "file/configuration" still only COM 5 was available....
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Ok Matt I actually reformatted my lap with a fresh install of XP Pro just because....

1) I installed Innovate Logworks 3 and it installed the USB driver atleast it was recognized when I opened up thje "LM Programmer" (note: it doesn't specify a COM Port at all though it just shows USB).

2) I installed Nistune.

3) I installed PLMS consult cable, and it installed itself on COM Port 3.

4) I setup Nistune "file/configuration" selected Innovate MTS and setup the wideband lookup tables.

5) Now the problem is in the "configuration screen" where the "Wideband
Type" is located I selected "Innovate MTS" but still only Port 3 is the only option?

6) The problem is Port 3 is where the PLMS Consult cable is.

7) When I try and connect via hitting the WBO2 LH, it says check your Serial-USB convertor?

I dont know whats going on and why only COM Port 3 is availble in teh drop down menu which is where the PLMS cable is installed on?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Best thing is to work without the PLMS cable plugged in for now, so you are only seeing the LM-2 device

I would have thought the LM-2 USB device should have shown up under USB devices, but shouldnt really matter where that goes

Now with the LM-2 are you seeing any other COM ports under Device Manager like you were having previously?

The reason is that nistune is looking for a COM port to connect to. I know the MTS libraries specify a COM port to connect to unless Innovate have changed things somewhat here

So check if there are any COM ports showing like what you have before the install. If there are, are they showing up okay or with an (!) error?
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Best thing is to work without the PLMS cable plugged in for now, so you are only seeing the LM-2 device

I would have thought the LM-2 USB device should have shown up under USB devices, but shouldnt really matter where that goes

Now with the LM-2 are you seeing any other COM ports under Device Manager like you were having previously?

The reason is that nistune is looking for a COM port to connect to. I know the MTS libraries specify a COM port to connect to unless Innovate have changed things somewhat here

So check if there are any COM ports showing like what you have before the install. If there are, are they showing up okay or with an (!) error?
I have tried without the PLMS cable hooked up but still no com ports showing up in Device manager......

I thought the same thing also about the LM-2 showing up in USB devices but it doesn't.

Now

With only the LM-2 pluged in nothing shows in device manager under com ports.

Here are some screen shots I hope that may help, all this below is with ONLY LM-2 hooked up:

Device Manager looks like this:

SIW screen shot more info, I dunno if this helps:

The LM-2 Connect screen:

If you wanna look at the FTDIBUS and or FTDIPORT or both setup information I can screen capture that to, anything that helps.

Thanks
Charlie
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Innovate have their own way of looking their devices ports inside MTS

For now we used the general method of getting COM ports when making the list to chose from for wideband devices

Looks like this LM-2 device is USB only with no COM ports generated

I'm going to have to do a Nistune software update with this one

When Innovate is selected as Wideband devicce use their method of selecting devices under the 'COM' port list. I'll have a look at it this weekend and should be able to get a test release out for you shortly
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Innovate have their own way of looking their devices ports inside MTS

For now we used the general method of getting COM ports when making the list to chose from for wideband devices

Looks like this LM-2 device is USB only with no COM ports generated

I'm going to have to do a Nistune software update with this one

When Innovate is selected as Wideband devicce use their method of selecting devices under the 'COM' port list. I'll have a look at it this weekend and should be able to get a test release out for you shortly
On the last part there you are reffereing to after the "fix" I suppose, right? Like selecting LM-2 USB or whatever it may be that may show up in the 'COM' ports list in Nistune file/configuration?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thats correct. I'm going to have to put a fix in to use the innovate way of scanning for devices rather than just COM ports
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt,

Here is an answer I got from Innovate when I asked "Why doesn't LM-2 show up in USB controller or Ports in device manager?:

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the post. Didnt realise it was going to be like that. We do use their SDK

I thought the SDK in its current form would have found the LM-2 USB device, but as they have indicated - it doesnt so there is nothing I can do to get it to detect that device until they update their SDK package. I would ask them on a timeframe for this

So use the serial out connector as they mention, and make sure that windows uses their MTS.dll

You would then select the COM port to this serial connector (using a USB-serial device) to connect to the LM-2 from Nistune
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Thanks for the post. Didnt realise it was going to be like that. We do use their SDK

I thought the SDK in its current form would have found the LM-2 USB device, but as they have indicated - it doesnt so there is nothing I can do to get it to detect that device until they update their SDK package. I would ask them on a timeframe for this

So use the serial out connector as they mention, and make sure that windows uses their MTS.dll

You would then select the COM port to this serial connector (using a USB-serial device) to connect to the LM-2 from Nistune
He also went on to say the following to:

So from this I gather since you stated that you use there SDK, and Innovate mentioned adding LM-2 USB support, but it still can't be done?

Here is the thread I started over at Innovate (im "R34SKYLINE" over there):

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/foru ... php?t=9046
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Ok Matt I made some progress finally...

but now when I hit connect wideband, it connects and I get this screen but no readings, its just blank, howver if I tried to select say, Zeitronics in the file->configuration then green numbers will show up but not when I select Innovate MTS, what gives?:

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Post a debug log here and I can have a look. I've just gone through that thread and I'm a little confused in that he says that I need to use the new SDK when it comes out but then it should work currently if I can for ports using their SDK code

I'll put the code in anyway and put that in the release coming out