NIStune developmental status

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

NIStune developmental status

Post by Matt »

Hey guys

Just a quick status to let everyone know where things are at:

NIStune software
Latest version 0.91124 seems to be working well. Still have a small list of problems to work on

- We will soon be prototyping external knock sensor detection using the Knocklite/DLP A/D converter as discussed in thread below
http://ibconceptions.com/Nistune/viewto ... 7&start=15

This feed a filtered knock signal into NIStune. This would then tie in with the current knock warning screen and knock indication on the fuel/timing maps

Have the potential to kind of autotune (pull back timing when knock is detected) with this input coming in. Depends on reliability.

- Also going to start on AFR Autotune code tonight. Make a 5% target and 2% target indication for the autotune and adjust fuel maps until it gets within this range based on wideband feedback. Now that consult/wideband is synced very closely the autotune should be accurate with minimal lag

Programmer boards
We have an updated final programmer board prototype working as of last night. It requires no jumpers to be changed, or extenal leads to be connected when used with the newest boards we have just revised

Type 1
Updated and tested Rev3B prototype successfully. Small update so that these can be reprogrammed without requiring the extra wire connected to the header pin.Will be eventually moving upto a newer Rev4A board with same functionality but less parts

Type 2
Updated and tested with the same reprogramming modication

Type 3
No changes planned

Type 4
This board has been delayed whilst I have been working on high priority software updates and customer orders

Given that other things are starting to finish up now, I am working still with the Y33 ECU on this board at this stage. That particular ECU is running stable, but was blocking writes to the board so required another firmware update to get that going. However STORE (burn) is not working so going to be chasing that one up this weekend.

S14A/S15/ER34 are experiencing different problems. The board is fully functional (including STORE) but experiences occasional dropouts. I've compared the GRID board logic against the logic we use with CPLDs and its the same as far as I can determine.

We suspect logic timing is to blame and are investigating the cause of the problem and trying to come up wtih a fix

I will be away 8 - 14 December for prechristmas vacation but should be around most of the time following this until the new year break

Type 5
Plan to have PCB order off next week for initial prototype
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

- Also going to start on AFR Autotune code tonight. Make a 5% target and 2% target indication for the autotune and adjust fuel maps until it gets within this range based on wideband feedback. Now that consult/wideband is synced very closely the autotune should be accurate with minimal lag
I have a few thoughts on this after using other systems that offer this. Often they dont work all that well, or if left alone for too long will ruin the map. If you for example are in a cell and throttle off sometimes you get an errornous AFR value in that cell thus the auto tune may go a bit mad. Also typically your never exactly in 1 cell so your overall value from the 4 cells will only be changing the one cell in the auto tune. This I found could create right and lean cells right next to each other.

It does work it just needs to be guided a bit, I was thinking perhaps the AFR table could be filtered by TPS value if tps for example to ignore engine in overrun fuel cuts from appearing on the table.

Its great to hear on this and all the other updates however..
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It was never going to be easy. Part of the reason why I have been putting it off for so long. I got the basics of it done and then higher priority things came up

I'll give it a start and defintately take TPS into consideration...
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

It may also be worth allowing the user to alter the feedback cycle/sample rate and amount as a % of fuel change per cycle.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Good idea. That way the user can decide how quickly it updates etc

Just started adding the external device knock detection stuff. Uses any auxillary input past a trigger value to make 'knock' sound and appear on the maps. Reduce the knock sound delay also since its too long when it gets triggered many times
ByReaL

Re: NIStune developmental status

Post by ByReaL »

maybe not the place to ask this but
Matt wrote:- We will soon be prototyping external knock sensor detection using the Knocklite/DLP A/D converter as discussed in thread below
http://ibconceptions.com/Nistune/viewto ... 7&start=15

Nistune board - USB
Wideband unit - USB
Knocklite - USB

my laptop has only 2 USB inputs, do you think using an USB HUB will be ok ?

anyway as many details as possible about the knock part will be highly appreciated, thx
* Got CA18DET Love
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Non powered USB hubs from a single USB port on a PC can support utpo 500mA

Most USB converters should use much less than this. Windows Device Manager properties for USB devices should tell you how much each device is using. So you can check there

In short... should be fine

We will post the status of the knock sensor updates as they come. Updates made last night, so you can use any wideband Aux input to trigger the 'external knock input' sensor trigger.

I've added another register as 'external knock sensor' flag which is the output for this.... so you can log it etc
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

any updates on the afr auto tune? :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Working it tonight :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've just done the majority of the coding

The basic algorithm for it is

If TPS voltage > 500ms and TPS switch not closed then
If AFR updates >= set update counter then
Reset counter
If real AFR leaner < ( set AFR * percentage) then increase cell
Marks cell RED to indicate making richer
If real AFR richer > ( set AFR * percentage) then decrease
Marks cell GREEN to indicate making leaner

Currently the updates are by 1 value for each update. I might make this configurable. The is no range checking on the flags (still to do)

You can specify how many AFR updates you wish to receive before making a change, and it will make changes within a certain percentage of the set AFRs

To really test it I have to try it out on the car, bit difficult to really see what its doing on the bench
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

I can test it for you. you have my email.

josh
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Likewise.

By real, know what you mean about USB ports. Fortunately my laptop has six(!!) When its all hooked up (i.e. 2xusb emulators + consult + wideband + data logger) its a whole lot of wiring!
crans

Post by crans »

Very interested in getting the knock sensor hooked up.

Is this the product to buy? http://www.turboxs.com.au/product.php?id=21

It says it detects mild and heavy knock.
Wouldnt it be best to hook both these up to the A/D converter.

Id rather detect and make required changes at Mild knock :)
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

thats the one :D
RB30-POWER

Post by RB30-POWER »

you almost need a time delay for the autotune to function otherwise acceleration enrichment, might make it think its rich and lean it out to much, when the accleration enrichment is not on top of the cell pulse injection value.