Feature Pack updates + Information thread

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

UNISA JECS

Re: Feature Pack updates + Information thread

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Yes you can purchase a programmer. Email me directly for a quote

Update on B14 SR20DE / S14 KA24DE based on email to customer today:
I’m working on the ground work for the later models at the moment (B14 SR20DE, S14 KA24DE). The problem with the OBD-II equipped ECUs is lack of free memory on the Type 4 board due to all the current ROM being used by the Nissan ECU program (4000-FFFF address space is full)

I’ve identified a fix in the previous week to expand the memory usage on the Type 4 board which involves reprogramming the Xilinx logic chips on the board to free up more space in the board

At the moment anyone with a base image programmer (such as our distributors) can reflash the Simtek program chips on board, but not the Xilinx logic chips. We are looking at providing some distributors with a Xilinx cable to upgrade the board to provide access to more memory. Once this is done then the updated firmware can be loaded into that free memory space

Pete @ PLMS is testing several new versions of Xilinx programmer at the moment. We are needing to update the Xilinx chips to 3.3V versions (current 5V parts are no longer being produced, and Simteks are getting phased out so we are using a suitable replacement from Cypress in the next year)

So new 3.3V Xilinx programmers are required for the next revision of Nistune boards

I will continue to work on these models in late December due to existing commitments with software updates and workshop training. I should expect something available in January for those vehicles (no flex fuel at this stage, but the launch control, fan control and total injection updates)
OK will do but have some questions does this mean in the near future the original programmer will obsolete and replaced with the newer version "Xilinx programmer" because I also use a Type 4 board as well or will a Xilinx cable allow the old programmer to still work with the next revision of Nistune Boards?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

These are two separate programmers for programming the Nistune boards

Xilinx chips - Logic chips which determine memory range and other functions. Programmed with Xilinx JTAG cable (using 6 row of holes on board) once from production.

Simtek chips - NVsRAM chips which have 2x32K EEPROM/SRAM and are programmed with the Nistune base image programmer

Most ECUs to have the feature pack update have enough free space to fit the feature pack code. The B14 SR20DE, S14 KA24DE and several others do not have any free space. I've found a way to open up the memory space further on the existing boards but the Xilinx chips need reprogramming to do this

For those ECUs both sets of chips need reprogramming (or exchange boards with ones I do here)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Updated first page for new ROM pack updates, including all listed vehicles!
Tommey

Post by Tommey »

If i understand this correctly i can send my Nistune ECU to Australia to get it flashed with the new firmware so i can get these new features?

I can just import my fuel and timing tables without any hassle afterwards?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes that is correct. Or contact your local distributor to see if they can reflash for you
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Hey Matt could you make a feature pack for the B14_SR20DE_1M871_MT ECU and since I already purchased the base image programmer and can reflash my own ECU, thanks.
Attachments
B14_SR20DE_1M871_MT.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Issue here - There is no spare memory available on the ECU to fit the feature pack code. Which parts of the feature pack were you wanting to add in?

I need to update the xilinx chips to allow more memory mapping for the extra code
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Updates:

- Finished writing and dyno testing S13 CA18DET (36F0F, 39F0F, 44F0F). Documentation completed

- Finished coding for VL RB30ET (and soon Z31 VG30ET) but needs debug/testing to be performed

- Rewrote the code for S14 KA24DE which does not require Xilinx chips updated on the Type 4 board (fits where knock timing map used to live)
- Shortened the fan control code to fit where the original code was (does not use the first temperature band now to make space for the change)

- The code changes for S14 will be ported to the B14/G20 P10 platforms without needing the Xilinx changes (just will not be the flex fuel code added)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Updated feature pack has been uploaded. Model list updated!

Updated address files for those wanting to use this now for S14 KA24DE/B14 SR20DE/P10 G20 SR20DE attached. These will be available in the next Nistune update
Attachments
FeaturePackV1.rar
(18.7 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Tommey

Post by Tommey »

I have a concern here, about if i choose to use the flexifuel feature.
Will i be able to let it control boost?
There is no way i can go full gasoline and still be running 2 bar of boost.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

At the moment the Nissan ECU does not control boost except for the S14A/S15 SR20DET models which we have documented its current usage. What vehicle do you have?

I am adding boost control (with boost by ethanol adjustment) for the ER34/WC34 and S14A/S15 models since these ECUs have a PWM output (pulse width modulation output driver which can control an external solenoid)

I will look into other models (such as the R32 GTR) which may also be able to support this. Depends on demand for which ECUs and those which have spare memory to put our boost maps in

My current prototype implementation has two boost maps on the R34 with adjustment by the flex content. I started trialing it a few weeks ago but need to fix the TPS voltage range. Since then I decided to finish up CA18 and other ECUs before proceeding further with the prototyping
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

In the meantime, using this firmware you need to adjust your boost for your regular fuel usage, and then add more timing when on ethanol (or manually adjust your boost, or use a boost controller with 2 stages)
Tommey

Post by Tommey »

Great news!
I have the S14a ECU.
Any ETA on when this boost feature will be implemented?
Thanks!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've given up trying to provide ETAs! Hopefully about a month. Just depends on if it works as expected, time when I can get to the dyno and when I'm not bogged down with other stuff :(
Tommey

Post by Tommey »

That sounds nice!
I am currently running e85 only but would like the flexifuel option mainly because it would be a fun feature to play with.
Also I have a couple of friends who really want the flexifuel option.
Another thing that is not a necessity but would be nice is the ability to see an estimated fuel consumption.
Should be possible to make and implement in the Nistune software but I understand that it would not be a priority.