Tuned on 95 octane at 19psi but using 92 octane fuel?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Noodleman

Tuned on 95 octane at 19psi but using 92 octane fuel?

Post by Noodleman »

I recently acquired a nistune ecu thats tuned for z32 maf, 555 cc injectors and t28 turbo for s14 sr20det. Im running the exact setup on my s14 but around the area there is only 92 octane fuel. The tune was on 95 octane at 19 psi from what the previous owner of the ecu told me and said that the tune was rock solid. Is it safe for me to drive on a lower boost pressure say 7-10 psi without any trouble using a lower 92 octane fuel?
unex

Re: Tuned on 95 octane at 19psi but using 92 octane fuel?

Post by unex »

Noodleman wrote:I recently acquired a nistune ecu thats tuned for z32 maf, 555 cc injectors and t28 turbo for s14 sr20det. Im running the exact setup on my s14 but around the area there is only 92 octane fuel. The tune was on 95 octane at 19 psi from what the previous owner of the ecu told me and said that the tune was rock solid. Is it safe for me to drive on a lower boost pressure say 7-10 psi without any trouble using a lower 92 octane fuel?
short answer: NO, its not safe.
explanation: until he reaches 19psi, he also goes through 7-10psi range, so this range also mapped for 95 octane. Anyway you have to monitor knock and see what happens. Maybe tune is not done on the limits and you will be ok.
raddy

Post by raddy »

I would say: if you really would like to stick with this tune, keep 19psi of boost, but remove 2-3deg of ign timing from whole timing map. This should bring you to the safe window, specially if AFR was tuned to safe area of 11ish:1...but to be sure knock has to be monitored as was mentioned...
Noodleman

Post by Noodleman »

Thanks for the help, ya i would like to stick to the tune as much as possible and will try to monitor my knock somehow and pull off some timing to be on the safe side. But i have considered just reverting back to stock ecu tune and adjust for injectors and maf when i run 92 octane fuel and do a rough tune for daily. When i want to run higher boost and 95+octane ill just load up the bin for the tune that came with the ecu. What do you guys think?