Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Nismo

TPS signal not working in nistune

Post by Nismo »

Vehicle is a D21 Navara with a VG30e
The signal for my TPS is not displaying correctly on the nistune gauges
It is reading a slightly varying voltage. around 1.3-1.4V
I have tested the signal with a multimeter and tps voltage signal is fine and goes from around 0.48 to just over 4v

Will this be affecting how it drives and stop me from changing things?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: TPS signal not working in nistune

Post by Matt »

It wont affect things. Likely just a display issue in the software if the way we read the TPS value and display it varies from other ECUs. Only done a couple of D21 models.

So the voltage does not match what Nistune shows at all? Might be wrong memory address I am reading
Nismo

Post by Nismo »

Hi, Would like to revisit this if possible, I think it is causing me major problems trying to get car running properly
It appears to me that the throttle position signal is being sourced from something such as coolant temperature, as the engine heats up the throttle position drops.
The signal it is picking up is affecting the throttle enrich maps and making it difficult to get running right.
I will try setting the throttle enrich maps at a consistent value and see what happens.

I understand that this is an uncommon vehicle however it is running 440cc injectors a Z32 afm and a gt35...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Please email me with your ECU part number and a log of both the coolant temp sensor and TPS signal

The function of the coolant temp sensor is to add more fuel during cold starting (basically upto about 80degC). If the temp sensor is disconnected/not working then the ECU will use a default limp enrichment setting

TPS signal is used for two functions:
1. Determine when the vehicle is idle. At the idle position the ECU will use the idle timing maps and also target RPM maps and maintain closed loop idle control based on the target RPM
2. Used for acceleration enrichment. As TPS voltage increases more fuel is added, depending on the rate of TPS change and the position of the TPS for a specific period of time

Actual engine temperature itself is not controlled through either of these two parameters. Some ECUs have fan outputs to cool the engine down which if the temp sensor was not functioning correctly would cause the fans not to be used. Does D21 have ECU controlled fan output? Is it working when the coolant temp going over 96 degrees C (this is the trigger point for fans on most vehicles)

Nistune just takes the existing ECU code and adds a USB function to provide map updates, and report sensor value information. If I have not got the correct memory location for the sensor (or my scaling of the sensor value is incorrect) then the sensor will not display correctly. That is why I say it will not affect vehicle operation because it is just something we display

At this point I am unsure why your vehicle would be overheating based on TPS position. Does not seem to make sense