Ca18det + Holset Hx35 + E85 tune

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Flavius424

Ca18det + Holset Hx35 + E85 tune

Post by Flavius424 »

Hi everyone !

This winter I have build a new setup for my Ca18det Engine, original Setup, with an Holset Hx35 turbo :P

Picture of the engine bay :

The car :

In Action last saturday :

The engine setup :

Rebuild Ca18det with stock internal two years ago (12000km)
Cometic head gasket
Multi angles valves and head
Home made build twin scroll manifold and ceramic coated
Holset Hx35 turbo, 12cm² hot side
50mm external wastegate with hood exit screamer pipe^^
Toyosport FMIC
Z32 AFM
Bosch 680cc injectors
Custom fuel system - 044 fuel pump, swirl pot, facet low pressure pump, etc.
AAC valve and all other valves removed from intake manifold
E85
Nistune
Other forgotten mods^^

I'm a beginner in engine tuning, but I like to do everything myself^^ so, I have start to tune my setup...

But I have a few questions...
First, I have an injection problem I think...
At 4500/5000rpm, I run very lean... I have to put an AFR of 10 to have approx. 12 but after 5000rpm, I put 13.5 to have approx 11.5...
I can't found where is the problem...

Otherwise, the engine run good, with this map, the AFR aren't too bad, but a little too rich after 5000rpm. I think 12.5/12.8 will be good with E85 ;)

When the turbo and manifold are hot, I have 0.5b at 3500/3800rpm, and max boost, 1.4b at approx. 4800tr ;)
The EGT are 820°C max, therefore good ;)
But I think it's possible to spool much faster.
You can see the ignition map, I haven't for the moment test different advances, because I still have trouble to know what is best advances to put...

I think 1.4b it's good for my stock internal engine, I don't want to destroy it immediately, but if I can hit the limit of the stock internal, i will be happy^^

On the log, I hit 4.44v on the AFM in the 3st gear, can you know approx. how much HP I have ?

I give you my map file and the log file in attachment :)

Thanks for your support !

(And sorry for my bad English, I'm French^^)

Edit : Sorry, I have forget the screen of my log...

Attachments
pouilly_2014-03-15_1118_16.csv
(466.64 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
modif_pouilly1.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Last edited by Flavius424 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
skylinegtrhr

Re: Ca18det + Holset Hx35 + E85 tune

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Hi
can you please post pictures of yours twinscrool manifold?
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Yes, I can :)

And after the ceramic coating :

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the pics!

With regards to the tuning, use your wideband. Also read up on our documentation for tuning in the Support > Documentation section

Specifically
http://www.nistune.com/docs/Workshop%20 ... %20Web.pdf

The fuel map estimated AFR values to not specify the actual AFRs you are going to see. Use 'filtered view' to see the actual numbers the ECU uses

Basically the injection is a result of TP (k constant x AFM/RPM) x enrichment tables x trims x fuel map value

Use the the 'filtered view' and increase your AFRs until you see what you need on the wideband. The only way the wideband will show the same values as the ECU is if you have no trim offset, K constant is exact and sometimes tweaking VQ map to get them to line up.
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Thanks for your response Matt !

Yep, I know that the AF ratio that I see on the fuel map it an approximation, but I haven't see so much variation (10 to have 12.5 on a part of the map and 13.5 to have 11.5 on an other part of the map...)

For you, the log of the injection time is OK ?

And thanks for the link of the doc :)

Last edited by Flavius424 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No it doesnt seem right. Normally the top of the fuel map should not be like that. Seems you are tuning around a fueling issue at the moment

You are having to pull fuel out at the top of the fuel map to keep the AFRs around mid 11s. This is evident from reducing injection time and pulling fuel out of the fuel map

Are you using a rising rate fuel reg? What is the fuel pump like? What does your fuel pressure do going on boost? It is getting more fuel than commanded on higher boost and you are pulling it out via the ECU which does not seem right

Also I would suggest scaling your fuel/timing load upto about 130 (your TP reaches 123 during the log so is stuck in the last column for a while)
Attachments
s13ca18tune.png
(139.77 KiB) Downloaded 6588 times
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Ok, therefore, I have a problem...

I use a Bosch 044 fuel pump and a Sard FPR with 3 bars pressure at atmospheric pressure.
My fuel pressure gauge is under the hood, I can't see it when I hit the boost...

But I have tested at middle load, and I have the same problem at the same RPM...

Yep, I have see it for the scale ;)

Thanks
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Matt,
Is this ECU affected by the sequential to batch fire changeover where injection time changes dramatically?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I dont think that sequential/batch change over is affecting things here. The injection time is doing as it should but the AFRs are still showing rich even when fuel is being pulled out by the ECU

Check your fuel pressure reg by removing the vacuum line to it and put pressure on to the vacuum using a syringe and monitor the fuel pressure
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Yes the sequential/batch injection is changing at approx 3500 rpm, not at 4500/5000...

Ok Matt, Good idea ! I will check It, but for the moment, I have another problem.
I have a drift day yesterday and I haven't the correct boost pressure, only 0.8/1b...
I have change the gasket between the turbo and the manifold by a home made copper gasket because I have broken the steel on last week...
But I think this gasket is not waterproof...
I will fix it first^^
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Hi all :)

I have check the FPR with my compressor and boost gauge, and the pressure is OK all time.
No pressure peak or other problem, So the FPR is not the problem...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If you have a meter with duty% reporting then keep an eye on this whilst going on boost

What I would do is flatten the top of the fuel map at the richest point (so it is stable and consistent) and then watch the AFRs vs duty cycle of the injectors as you go on boost.

The AFRs should not go richer once the duty cycle hits the flat part of the fuel map, and fuel pressure should be consistent
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Sorry, I haven't understand exactly what you want me to do...

I should to put the same AFR or Duty cycle on the top of the map ? (10 AFR (the afr when I go on max boost), or the Duty when I put the 10 AFR ?)

And I log it and compare the duty with the AFR ?
I'm sure that if I put 10 AFR on all the top of the map, I will have lower that 10 after 5000 rpm...

But I have talk with a french man who have the same turbo on his SR20, He have the same problem, and He think that the lag of the turbo is too long in order that the "Enrichment vs TPS voltage" map do his job correctly...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Make top of map values 36 and make it flat

Watch duty cycle on meter whilst in this area. Check it does not drop (shouldn't) whilst your AFRs are reporting richer here
Flavius424

Post by Flavius424 »

Ok thanks for the precision, I was on holiday this Week, and I have a lot of work on the car before restart the engine (new gearbox and new turbo gasket...)

I will test it after that and I will tell you the results :)