s14 ka-t base tune help please?

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

kgriffin

Re: s14 ka-t base tune help please?

Post by kgriffin »

Well after exhausting ever resource i am unable to find a new MAF in town so I ordered one the other day, should be here by the end of the week, along with a new red top. Will update once i get the new MAF installed. Thanks again for all the help!!
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Thanks for all the help, after a bunch of crap happened (motor got pulled and completely gone through, then put back together) I finally have the car running!!! The maf was indeed part of the problem, replaced it and im running so much better. I will also be moving maf to blow through setup like 8-bit recommended to me like 8 months ago. Stay tuned for updates :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I suggest also upgrading to the feature pack updates for this ECU which will help with tuning in the slot style MAFs like HPX (keeping the factory scales and avoiding O2 holding closed loop on boost)
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

OK i did just run all the updates and installed the new version. I am out fiddling with my car now. I can now start it everytime and get it to idle on the 810cc injectors finally :shock:

Now onto the issue. I am super rich (afr reads 10, Pretty sure thats as low as my gauge goes) and idle around 850rpm on a cold start. Id rather not flood the engine to see what its like warm. I have tried adjusting my K constant all the way down to 250 from 285 but it doesn't seem like its doing anything. Any suggestions on what table or other adjustment i should try?
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

well I just fixed another issue, apparently my maf was wired wrong :x now it is a surging idle and super lean, im guessing is should probably add some back to the k constant?
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Ok ive called it a night. I re-tuned from a stock map, still surging. I notice that the injectors are pulsing with the surge if I watch the bar graph in nistune. Any ideas?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Having a MAF not working (you would have had a voltage reported in consult which didnt change!)

My usual basic setup is to hold at 2000rpm. Watch the FTS/FTL and adjust K until those are close to 0% and you should then have K in the right place (and AFRs should be 14.7:1)

Then at idle adjust latency until AFRs are 14.7:1

After this increase acceleration and check AFRs are heading towards 11.5:1 about

Make sure the maptrace works within the existing TP scales, otherwise you may need to rescale TP

The feature pack updates I mention require sending the board in for a reflash to upgrade the firmware. Depends how far your K constant is from factory to if it will have much effect
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Ya my maf wasnt reading anything, now it does. What are FTS/FTL? When you say TP Scale, are you referring to the Fuel load scale? Sorry I am a complete noob at tuning. Id rather get my car running before sending the ecu back in for an update if at all possible.
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Ok I found the FTS/FTL graphs and they are at 0% during the surging idle. Here is a video of what its doing.

kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

side note: I replaced my coolant temp sensor just now and still have same issue (I didnt think that would be it, but thought i should do it anyway). all other codes are due to this being an auto ecu and me having swapped in a manual trans. all trans plus are disconnected
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

ok i think i finally have all my stupid bugs worked out. Idling at 7-725rpm with afrs bouncing around 14.7. It is really nice to finally see the k constant working!!!
rick88ss

Post by rick88ss »

kgriffin wrote:Ok I found the FTS/FTL graphs and they are at 0% during the surging idle.
Good work. So what did you do to get it running better from the surging idle and the FTS/FTL not reading properly?
Last edited by rick88ss on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

My FTS/FTL graphs were always at 0% already, I just didnt know where they were lol. My surging idle came back to timing. The gears that the distributor go into (idler gear) were off one tooth, I moved the idler over one tooth but kept the distance between the links for the cams and crank the same. I have been working on reving up and adjusting the fuel map but my brake booster decided it was a little too hot. Im going to make a heat shield over the weekend out of some aluminum and see if that helps, ill probably order a turbo blanket too. I am all ears for tuning tips, I have been reading the basic tuning guide a bunch but im happy to hear any advice!
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Ok not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but this is where i am. Took my timing covers all off and discovered the bottom chain was off a tooth causing all kinds of dumb shit. Fixed that, distributor is finally right. On stock injectors and z32 maf the car runs pretty good and boosts about 8psi. I have switched to my bigger 810cc injectors and after I take it for a drive the idle is shitty, i have tried adjusting K constant after and it seems to help but then if i rev my engine, it will start to surge again. It gets to the point of me having to basically heel toe to keep it running when coming up to a stop sign. I believe I am flooding a little bit on cranking so I am going to drop the cranking table down 10% and see what that gets me. If anyone can offer advice on how to fine tune this idle I would be might appreciative!!!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

So you are still running standard firmware at the moment I believe (23710-70F00 showing as part# in top screen panel)

If your idle is crap, then adjust your injection latency if the rest of your AFRs are good (from having K constant at the right value)

If you are flooding on cranking then definately reduce the crank enrich table if it is setup for stock injectors at the moment. Its putting more than 3x amount of fuel that you need in