Neutral Switch

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

fikemoo

Neutral Switch

Post by fikemoo »

Heya guys we know what the problem is and are looking in to it as we speak whether it is a bad wire or the switch itself is broken but; my question is when driving around we noticed that the neutral switch is falshing on and off on and off (you get the idea) it can be on and off constantly or sometimes on for a while off for a while, the question: what would this be doing to the running of the car as i know there is a lower load map for neutral, and any ideas if youve got them

Its a s13 with rb25det and rb25det 5 speed gearbox

Thanks Mike
PL

Re: Neutral Switch

Post by PL »

Yeah, you'll wanna get that sorted cos there are many parameters that use neutral switch as a flag.

Many guys who do engine conversions leave the neutral switch unconnected with no ill effects. So ECU never sees neutral. No big deal. But you don't want it switching on/off randomly.

PL
fikemoo

Post by fikemoo »

Ok PL thanks for the reply i will disconnect it as searching the loom for a break or a dodgey switch itself is a pain in the ass to fix haha :D

thanks Mike
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It will make the ECU go between gear/neutral maps where applicable and that may upset things
fikemoo

Post by fikemoo »

Reviving an old thread as its my next task to tackle as i just left it disconnected before, the nuetral switch when doing some mapping we noticed the cold start crank tables warm start etc were locked out as the car just thinks its always in gear, so starting the car in different temps it can play up, and the car is stalling when in neutral say for example you are coming to a hault you press the clutch to put it in to first or to knock it in to neutral and it will just die sometimes and i think it might be related to it not using the correct map and tables etc.

Are these assumptions correct? and my other question is i had a multimeter on the ecu pin for the nuetral switch #PIN44 and in gear and not in gear im seeing 7.2 volts, what voltage should i be seeing? and when in gear i shouldnt see anything correct?

thanks Mike
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Assumptions sound correct

Neutral switch will usually be something like 12V or grounded when activated (check factory service manual). That ECU input at 7V is floating which means its not connecting
fikemoo

Post by fikemoo »

Hello matt thanks again, had a chat with my mapper/helper and he said the same the ecu sends out a voltage which just waits to be grounded when the nuetral switch is activated, it was me being a plumb really checking for volts not checking the continuity

A question on the software side of things, a lot of people just disconnect the switch if problems occur (as did i) which doesnt affect the running on the car once you are moving etc, but the cold crank warm crank etc etc all those parameters not being used, is it not a big problem as people just dont seem to mind?

thanks again mike
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Perhaps. Can you get the switch working?
fikemoo

Post by fikemoo »

Hello matt its just to let you know we got the nuetral switch working and the car runs great was worth the trouble shooting, now having access to the different maps the car starts better isnt stalling, im really happy :D

thanks Mike