Windows 8 support

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Windows 8 support

Post by Matt »

One of the items on the Nistune bug list is signed drivers for the Type 1 and PLMS USB consult cables. The INF files for these drivers has been modified for Nistune specific modifications as well as using our own Product ID

These are signed through FTDI but first require Microsoft Winqual certification and signing. I've started going through the process a while ago but never managed to complete it. The signing alone is $500/year through verisign so wanted to make sure the latest qualified drivers from FTDI were ready (back in April 02.08.24 released). Will start this process in the next month given that Windows 8 requires signed drivers for the devices to work when plugged in

In the meantime I've put together a guide for installing drivers in Windows 8 (and earlier versions) by disabling signed checking
http://nistune.com/docs/NistuneWindows8.pdf

I can confirm apart from this issue that Nistune will run under Windows 8 and connect to the PLMS cable as tested so far (Type 1 should work fine if the drivers are installed the same way)
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 support

Post by Matt »

One problem noted so far with Windows 8 is that group updates of cells with Consult will freeze up for several seconds and the upload does not complete

One user reported with the Consult timeout which occurs due to the freeze, that the software then shuts down. I'm looking into this issue at the moment since comparing 0.12.1 test release with Windows 7/8 the problem only occurs on Windows 8

There must be some under the hood changes with windows 8 in regards to queue/event processing going on so trying to figure out how to get around it
james92se

Post by james92se »

Any new news/recommendations here?

I'm ready to buy a new laptop in the next few days (my current one is 10 years old and has gotten slowwwwww the past few months).

It seems like all the new laptops come with Windows 8, so I would like to make sure it's copacetic with Nistune before pulling the trigger. Nistune will be one of my primary uses with this laptop so I do absolutely want to skew my laptop choice toward Nistune friendliness.

Thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Windows 8 is fine with Nistune now

I've fixed the problems identified in the later test builds so you are fine to go ahead. I still need to get signed drivers for the PLMS cables, but installing unsigned drivers in test mode as per the document in the first post will work fine
ricardomendes

Post by ricardomendes »

is possible use the nistune on windows 8 RT? surface table/laptop?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No it never will be. RT only supports Microsoft drivers and will not support any FTDI product
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
*Also, as Windows 8 RT is a closed system not allowing for 3rd party driver installation our Windows 8 driver will not support this variant of the OS
I'm in the process of getting microsoft certification for our drivers so that it will be supported by default (no special test mode procedure for unsigned drivers) for Windows 8/8.1
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Got my certificate today from Verisign. Here are signed driver files which will be included with the next release. I've tested the PLMS/BIP ones so far but Type 1 should work too

Unzip to a temp folder and run the dpinst_amd64.exe file to auto install them
Attachments
CDM20830 Nistune.zip
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 201 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Version 1.0 now has these signed drivers for proper Windows 8/8.1 support with no workarounds required any longer
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Would like to say so far this has been the most hassle free no BS installation of Nistune and most stable its been in years everything worked and connected on the first try and this is a brand new touch screen laptop, Thanks Matt
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
(90.72 KiB) Downloaded 4260 times
Screenshot (1).png
(179.21 KiB) Downloaded 4260 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Its been about time. Just had to spend the dosh on the certificates and figure out how to sign everything. I'll get the drivers included in the windows updates, once microsoft certifies them
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Its been about time. Just had to spend the dosh on the certificates and figure out how to sign everything. I'll get the drivers included in the windows updates, once microsoft certifies them
Yea man for the life of me since the beginning you remember the hassle of getting Innovate Wideband to connect I had and then after it got somewhat fixed I always had to do a rain dance to get everything to connect was so frustrating, but it feels a lot more solid now :)