Ford Lightning MAF on KA24DE with Nistune

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

markoshust

Ford Lightning MAF on KA24DE with Nistune

Post by markoshust »

I have the following setup for Ford Lightning MAF. It's a CAI setup with 4" piping and the maf/filter outside of the engine bay (in front of driver wheel).

Under full boost with Nistune, the car runs great. However, daily driving the car on city/hiway it gets about 9mpg. It idles very rich (11:1) and cruising AFR fluctuates greatly from 10:1 to 17:1 (with O2 Sensor disabled). I have correctly set latency (1020ms on 75# delphi's) and K value (220) and the car is great under boost, AFR is great and car pulls hard. Starting the car on a cold motor actually throws the AF exactly at 14.7, but as soon as the car heats up it idles in the 11's. If I lower the latency I can get it to idle at 14.7 but then it is unable to cruise at all. I have checked logs and noticed the MAF voltage is not smooth at all and fluctuates greatly. Here is a log (http://shust.com/240sx/cruising.csv) of basic cruising on level terrain, and slight up and down hills. There is also a 'buckling' that occurs when at partial/low throttle cruise that I am unable to get rid of, and it appears that the MAF is the only thing that could be causing this problem.

I wanted to verify that this MAF will work correctly with my setup, that the location is good, and that I have the correct part. I am using a slightly modified version of MAF Translation table supplied in Nistune for this MAF (just a tad smoother). My CEL comes on after driving a short distance and throws the MAF code. I have heard that there are different versions of the Lighting MAF and that I may need a Granatelli or OEM MAF for everything to work correctly, but wanted to get some general feedback before I spend a few hundred bucks on a new MAF. This is a new MAF but I picked i up off eBay so I'm not sure if it's 100% OEM quality. There is at least 12" of straight after the MAF in my CAI setup and it's all full 4" piping.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark
BlueRB240

Re: Ford Lightning MAF on KA24DE with Nistune

Post by BlueRB240 »

You might want to play with the K value. I know when I fought with mine the K was too high and it would idle very rich. I'm blow through tho.
meet07

Post by meet07 »

any updates?
markoshust

Post by markoshust »

Forgot to update this... got the car running right. I can't remember what the final setting was (can look it up), but the injector latency was off. Once it was set right and I evened out the fuel map everything started running good.
guricha

Post by guricha »

this maf works perfect, i have used it on my R32 GTR just need to play with K
meet07

Post by meet07 »

Im running mine in a 4 inch tube. Rb25det,built bottom end with 1000cc with a honda accord v6 resistor box wired inline. I wanna say that my latency is at 760 from the start. Did u increase it? And when you hold the revs at idle would the afr look ok? I have to increase the min ttp. And even then it runs super rich
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

so iam looking at this setup for my rb25det(s2). anymore complaint/praises for this maf??
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

its over rated at 700HP in factory housing.