FORD LIGHTNING 90mm MAF - part number????

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

andygts

FORD LIGHTNING 90mm MAF - part number????

Post by andygts »

Could someone provide a 100% accurate part number for the one that nistune supports? I've had a look around and I'm getting all sorts of stuff back from google.

Or better still point me in the direction of a trusted webpage where I can just buy it, the company must be willing to post to the UK though. I doubt I'll find one in this country already.

Thanks in advance
Andy
BlueRB240

Re: FORD LIGHTNING 90mm MAF - part number????

Post by BlueRB240 »

M-12579-L54

You can try big aftermarket companies like Jegs or summit have them in stock too. I know Jegs will. I bought one before but I think I bought this one http://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/467/AFH90-02/10002/-1 . Having problems with that one because the maf won't go higher than a TP of 26 last time it was on the dyno. The real ones cost more lol I didnt know that till later Ohh well. http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M ... 4/10002/-1 there you go. Or try your local ford dealer special order? Hope that helps you out.
Zuikkis

Post by Zuikkis »

I have been using those Granatelli AFM's with no real problems for some time. They do lack a bit of consistency, if you change to another AFM you might need a re-tune.. But other than that they are great and seem to measure over 600hp.

They are quite popular here in Finland in single turbo Skylines. Lightning AFM has the hot wires in separate smaller channel, a bit like S13/S14 stock AFM.. It's not so sensitive to intake air "spinning" messing up the AFR, like Z32 AFM for example. You can mount it almost directly to the turbo and it works..

If you do a single turbo GT-R, you can simply connect both AFM signal wires to the same AFM so ECU sees same voltage on both wires.. Then halve the K value in Nistune. Same can be done for lambdas, only one needed really.

On SR20 the AFM iss not so good because at idle there's so little airflow that the AFM barely measures it. On CA18 it's even worse because the AFM is at about 0.6V at idle, and CA18 S13 vqmap starts at 1.0V.. So it runs super rich idle, then suddenly starts working when you raise revs enough for AFM voltage to reach 1.0V. :)
andygts

Post by andygts »

Cheers guys. I'll try the local ford dealer first, see how confused he looks when I give him the part number.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

Zuikkis wrote:I have been using those Granatelli AFM's with no real problems for some time. They do lack a bit of consistency, if you change to another AFM you might need a re-tune.. But other than that they are great and seem to measure over 600hp.

They are quite popular here in Finland in single turbo Skylines. Lightning AFM has the hot wires in separate smaller channel, a bit like S13/S14 stock AFM.. It's not so sensitive to intake air "spinning" messing up the AFR, like Z32 AFM for example. You can mount it almost directly to the turbo and it works..

If you do a single turbo GT-R, you can simply connect both AFM signal wires to the same AFM so ECU sees same voltage on both wires.. Then halve the K value in Nistune. Same can be done for lambdas, only one needed really.

On SR20 the AFM iss not so good because at idle there's so little airflow that the AFM barely measures it. On CA18 it's even worse because the AFM is at about 0.6V at idle, and CA18 S13 vqmap starts at 1.0V.. So it runs super rich idle, then suddenly starts working when you raise revs enough for AFM voltage to reach 1.0V. :)
I think mine is a dud :( going to try the real thing before I give up on the nistune and run a standalone lol.
guricha

Post by guricha »

searching for me as well to use single MAF on RB26, issue is there is lots of different prices some of them cost 100 or lover and i cant decide where to buy.... will try to buy at Jegs
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

The one I have seems to work but I have mine in a small pipe for the blow through. I was going to change from blow to draw but I don't have enough room for the proper length for the maf from the turbo. So I'm just going to up the size of the intercooler cold pipe to 3.25-3.50 from 2.75.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Andy - From the information I have so far from Petros who emailed me about this months prior was that the VQ map used for the Lightning MAF came from JWT calibrated Ford MAFs. These do not function the same as factory MAFs

We believe that the original Ford MAFs are modified, in that OEM part numbers are scrubbed from the MAF housing and these are resold within the US matching the provided calibration curve for JWT etc

As such you would need to find a US supplier of these units who can ship to you in the UK
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

Matt wrote:Hi Andy - From the information I have so far from Petros who emailed me about this months prior was that the VQ map used for the Lightning MAF came from JWT calibrated Ford MAFs. These do not function the same as factory MAFs

We believe that the original Ford MAFs are modified, in that OEM part numbers are scrubbed from the MAF housing and these are resold within the US matching the provided calibration curve for JWT etc

As such you would need to find a US supplier of these units who can ship to you in the UK
So Matt the lightening vq map in nistune, will it function with a factory lightening maf?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

From what he was saying - dont believe so. There were most likely calibration differences from what he was letting me know. I did offer to post something about this on the forums some time ago but he was still looking into it before putting more definitive information up and haven't heard anything since then
guricha

Post by guricha »

Matt wrote:From what he was saying - dont believe so. There were most likely calibration differences from what he was letting me know. I did offer to post something about this on the forums some time ago but he was still looking into it before putting more definitive information up and haven't heard anything since then
Matt, maybe you know someone you can suggest from whom we can buy and it will work 100% with software ??
Sandell

Post by Sandell »

I would like to know this as well.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What I know so far is the part numbers are in here:
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpd ... NGINST.PDF

93 FORD COBRA MUSTANG FORD # F1SZ-12B579-A
(92-95 Supercharged Thunderbird) 70mm. Flow 1450-1550kg/hr

2001+ FORD LIGHTNING FORD # 1L3Z-12B579-(A or B) 90mm. Flow 1720-1740kg/hr

The belief from Petros is that JWT uses modified Ford AFMs since they are easy to recalibrate and that PN shaved to avoid confusion. JWT may measure upto 700hp but stock wouldnt measure as much. From the above you can see he is correct. Part numbers are scrubbed in the pic but I've read elsewhere (forums) that the MAFs from JWT are the same as those from Ford OEM so there is still speculation which needs to be sorted

Petros mentioned that Nismo upgrade AFMs for GTR measure 1000kg/hr @ 4.3 volts extrapolating out to 1742kg/hr @ 5.12 volts which is same as the Ford Lighting. Given Z32 AFMs use the same VQmap these would be simlar flow rate to Z32 AFMs

This is all the info I have atm
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Also read that some users have used Granatelli replacement MAFs for Fords (same models) with reported smoother airflow path over the Ford ones but the AFRs need to be verified as also read about reading lean in some spots
markoshust

Post by markoshust »

Wanted to know if this query has been solved yet and if there are differences between the mafs (and if so, what they are).