Type 3 vs Type 4

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

gonzomagic

Type 3 vs Type 4

Post by gonzomagic »

Right I think I may have made a bubu.

I just purchased a type 3 board from a forum here in the UK. It is a type 3 board but I have a S14a not S14?

Will it work?

It comes fitted to a ecu (nissan s14ecu number 69f00)Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

???
MichaS14a

Re: Type 3 vs Type 4

Post by MichaS14a »

I think it will not work as e.g. the plug from the S14 is different compared to the ECU-plug from the S14a.
gonzomagic

Post by gonzomagic »

Thanks mate, I was told cause it came fitted to the ecu it would work (s14ecu number 69f00).

And all i Had to do is replace my ecu with this one?

Also this come with a license, is this transferable to another board type?

Also the usb consult for it also? Will the type 3 one be the same as type 4?

Thanks
PL

Post by PL »

That's right - S14 and S14a have different plugs on the ECU. I have no idea why Nissan did this. There are basically 2 plug types on the 1990 - 2000 series SR20 ECU's. The shorter ones are used on S13 S14a and S15. The S14 uses the wider connector - which is the same as all the 6 cyl engines - R32, Z32 etc. And just to really throw things out the CA18 also uses the wide connector!

S14 uses T3 board and S14a uses T4 board as I think you're aware. The S14a is basically an S15 ECU....

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

My thoughts are its something to do with the later model Z32 16 bit models being similar to S14 SR20 16 bit ECU so they shared the same plug since Z32 was the larger plug. Almost the same ECU so they use the same frame and board layout
gonzomagic

Post by gonzomagic »

Thanks Guys, asically I have bought the wrong one, will put it on the board maybe someone could use it.

And re-purchase a type 4 :(.

Can anyone tell me, I want the ability to tune and tweak myself, tuners here in the UK do tune, but I belive they lock the nistune ecu down?

The seller of my current one has a license and usb consult along with the software. And this is what drawed me to it. Apparently you can have a economy map along with high performance map, etc etc. And that would be someting I would love, without having to take it to a mapper each time.

Is all I need a USB consult and license to do this?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

boards have pin locking option. however board can be reprogrammed (but obviously lose previous maps

yes you need a cable and licence to retune the board. i can swap you a board if you want to do that?
gonzomagic

Post by gonzomagic »

Matt wrote:boards have pin locking option. however board can be reprogrammed (but obviously lose previous maps

yes you need a cable and licence to retune the board. i can swap you a board if you want to do that?
Thats would be super. And a viable option. It comes pre-installed on a S14 ecu, I was thinking maybe selling on both on owners club in UK here to someone with a 14, but it might just be easier to have it swapped as I would want to hang onto the license and consult, only thing is I was worried about fitting it myself to my current S14a ECU, which I assume I would have to do myself, if getting the boards swapped?

What would be the easiest or what would you recommend Matt?

Many Thanks Matt
gonzomagic

Post by gonzomagic »

Matt wrote:boards have pin locking option. however board can be reprogrammed (but obviously lose previous maps

Also, is teh USB Consult the same from the Type 3 to the Type 4?
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

gonzomagic wrote:
Yes. The USB Data cable and the Consult Plug itself is the same for the S14 and S14a.
The difference between Type 3 and 4 ist the printed circuit board IN the ecu not the connector/connection from the laptop to the ecu.
gonzomagic

Post by gonzomagic »

MichaS14a wrote:
gonzomagic wrote:
Yes. The USB Data cable and the Consult Plug itself is the same for the S14 and S14a.
The difference between Type 3 and 4 ist the printed circuit board IN the ecu not the connector/connection from the laptop to the ecu.
Thanks mate.