Moving Board

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

DT444T

Moving Board

Post by DT444T »

Is it possible to move the board from one ECU to another for the same model/year/engine car? I bought a 41PO4 board for my JDM ECU, but I also have a USDM ECU that is already socketed. I had an issue with the JDM not connecting to consult, in limp mode, and if I have to take the board off to resolder, I figured I would just install it in the USDM ECU that came with the car.

The reason I have a JDM ECU is I bought a used JDM motor to replace a broken USDM, and accidentally ordered the wrong part.
PL

Re: Moving Board

Post by PL »

Yep. It can be done but you need to be careful.

First you'll need to remove the hot-melt glue or whatever has been used to secure the board - assuming something has been used. They actually fit quite tightly so glueing them in is optional but I always use something anyway.

Then remove the 4 way ribbon cable. Easy.

Now for the tricky bit - removing the board. As I said, the pins are quite a tight fit in the socket, so you need to lever them out as best you can. The secret is to try and keep the board resonably straight or you'll break the pins. And they're a total bitch to replace. Start by levering on the bottom edge of the board (the edge furthest from the wall of the ECU). Don't lift it up much - maybe 2mm. Then push it down again and you'll find that once you do this a few times the board will start to work its way out. Be patient and be careful.

Now you just have to de-solder the 4 way ribbon connector and fit it to the new ECU.

When you re-fit the detonation detection board you may need to bend some of the components flat so they don't foul on the NIStune board.

Try to avoid doing any of this on carpet or synthetic surfaces to avoid static damage. Static kills electronics.

PL
DT444T

Post by DT444T »

Thanks for that information, but the question was can I move it from one board to a board with a different part number. I just want to make sure nothing will short out or catch fire (unlikely) if I were to do that. Seeing if the different ECUs are compatible. This is all for a Z32
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That should be fine. Only problem I've seen so far was using EDM image in JDM ECU but not sure of what the exact reasons were. We got the board reprogrammed with JDM and it was fine (perhaps EDM image was dodgy)
DT444T

Post by DT444T »

Alright, Thanks