Cannot consult download - connectivity issue

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

treese88

Cannot consult download - connectivity issue

Post by treese88 »

Hi,

I have a chipped z32 ecu. I am wanting to download the chipped bin file so I can use that as a base map for when I install Nistune onto the board. It is not allowing me to connect to consult however.

I can connect with my cable to blazt, ecutalk, etc. but not Nistune (or at least that is what it seems like). I am using a serial to usb cable for my consult connector but I don't think that should matter since ecutalk and blazt easily connect.

From my understanding all I should have to do is
1. open nistune and connect consult cable (ignition to on)
2. load adr file for z32
3. load image file
4. go to operations - consult download
5. save that file and use it for when I install the nistune board.

When I go to download I get a "only for use with standard factory consult" (something like that, going from memory). If I try syncing I'm told the drivers don't work.

In the bottom corner Nistune always says cannot connect to consult.

Thanks for any help. I just want to get this file so I can solder the board in!
zmyzgo

???

Post by zmyzgo »

I have my board in and works fine...downloaded other's maps.
I had a problem with ground at first, just checked ecu mounting bolts ( I also run a 5 point ground kit). The only difference I see is that you run serial port to USB. I don't know about those other programs...but, this is more about connecting I think. I have no klnowledge about serial to USB, but that is our only difference.
Hope it is running soon...
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Ya I've decided this is purely a connectivity issue and I'm not sure what to do. When I attempt to connect by pressing the consult button it says "Nistune cannot find the correct USB drivers. Please reinstall USB drivers"
FHCRSky

Post by FHCRSky »

Need USB drivers.

If you buy PLMS USB cable (works with Nistune tuning software), it requires that you install the USB drivers from link below, before installing Nistune tuning software, etc (follow PDF installation guide, don't miss a step) -

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/usb_drivers.htm

With PLMS consult cable, uninstall everything and install above USB drivers. Then install Nistune tuning software, etc and it should work.

Can click on "connect" button in Nistune tuning software, without connecting consult cable to car (only to laptop) and green light flashes on cable box part of PLMS cable to show cable / USB drivers work.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Drivers also in c:\Program Files\Nistune folder
treese88

Post by treese88 »

I bought a blazt usb consult cable that will arrive today. I know others who have used it with success. I figure the issue was my ebay consult cable..it was just strange it worked with other programs.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

some cables are dodgy and have poor comms capability. most software doesnt check the data and you can get away for it... but we need to for integrity
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Well I got it to connect with the new cable. Downloaded my old tune.

Then I installed the daughterboard...and now I cannot connect again with anything. The car will start and idle but will not give me any codes via the flashing led (or obviously consult). I assume this is limp mode and I installed something wrong? I'm going to desolder and resolder the 4 wires I had to do.
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Well redid the connections. Bolted the ecu all the way in to make sure it was grounded. Same issue as before. No connection to consult. My check engine light is on and every time I turn on the ignition the a/c fan turns on (never did that before installing nistune). As far as I can tell the ecu can communicate with the car but I can't communicate with the ecu (since it will start, albeit roughly). Which means I can't drive since the base tune is the wrong size injectors/etc.

I'm not sure what to do next :/
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Reinstalled the old chip (left the wires I soldered there). Car was perfectly normal and I could connect via consult.

I'll wait for replies before I try anything else with the Nistune board.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

What is the part number written on the Nistune board and the part number written on your ECU casing?

Its good that it works with the original chip installed, which means resocketing is good, but obviously a probem with the 4 pin connector

Check the connector plug pin 1 matches to the correct number on the ECU board, as for the rest of the wires

Also check if possible with multimeter buzzing rest of the wires to check connectivity to the board
treese88

Post by treese88 »

1 goes to D. (purple is D and black is A)

The daughterboard is labeled Z32 91P13 (might be 41P13 tough to tell).
ECU is labeled: 23710 41P14.

I'd check connectivity (have multimeter) but I'm not sure what I would be checking.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

with the board plugged into the connector check the A-D ends 'buzz' out to the board pins with the meter in continuity mode

you have the adaptor cable in the correct way and are using a compatible rom image in the board

can you take some photos of the install for me to see and post them here?

the only other thing i can do is send another board over to try out, but I do test each one on the bench before posting out
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Well I took pics and they do make my solder work look really nasty...Not very visible to the eye but it sure looks bad in pictures. I also learned I have very bad picture taking skills....not easy to get that board into focus.

I'll check continuity after I post this. If you see any areas you can pinpoint that seem to cause problems I'd like to try and fix them. Otherwise I'll take the board to an electronics repair place on Monday and have it nicely soldered in there (and any other repair if necessary)

Thanks,
T
treese88

Post by treese88 »

Tested continuity.

With multimeter set to "20k" on the resistance setting checking from the solder point on the daughterboard to the solder point on the bottom of the ecuboard I would get a reading at .1 (or .01 cant remember) from all the wires.