Failure to connect to ECU via consult (S15 ADM)

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

zrated

Failure to connect to ECU via consult (S15 ADM)

Post by zrated »

Hi Gents,

I'm having problems with an Aussie delivered S15 and connecting to consult.

For starters, stupid me didn't think to attempt to connect to consult before I installed the type 4 board so I'm not sure if it's something that I've done or something that's pre-existing. I removed the ECU and installed the type 4 board as per the installation instructions (we've done heaps of S15's before but never an aussie one). The only thing I've done differently on this ECU is instead of moving the jumper from R020 to R021, I've removed the jumper all together and bridged the R021 points with solder.... The main reason for this is due to me dropping the jumper when holding them with the tweezers and I couldn't find it. :(

So anyway, I installed the ECU back in the car and hit the connect button in nistune and it wouldn't connect. I removed the ecu again and double checked everything and all looked fine. I reinstalled it and same thing, no connection.

After a few swear words, I removed the ECU again and removed the solder from R021 and used solder to jump R020 (i.e. back to stock configuration). I put the ECU in the car again and still no connection to consult.

Now the problem I'm having is the car starts and runs fine. No engine check light and the car can easily rev over 2000rpm. Normally with a stuffed ECU it'll have either a check light or will run in limp mode..... It seems as if the tune it fine. I can switch back from R020 to R021 and the car will still run fine, so I gather it's a consult connection problem?

I went through the nistune consult connection document and I found that there is no CLK wire on this cars consult port, picture is below:

I checked all the other wires back to the ECU and continuity exists on the TX and RX. I also checked the ensure the PWR had power on ignition and the GND is also good.

Now I borrowed an ECU from a mate who has a JDM S15 and yes... consult does connect but the car wont start (i believe that would be due to the ADM/JDM differences).

So is this ECU stuffed?

Pics of the ECUS below....

ADM ECU

JDM ECU

Can anyone help? I'm going nuts and I need to get this car done! :)
Attachments
IMG_3993.jpg
(35.24 KiB) Downloaded 4021 times
IMG_4011.jpg
(14.03 KiB) Downloaded 4021 times
IMG_4012.jpg
(16.04 KiB) Downloaded 4021 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

so without the CLK line on this connector on this vehicle its able to connect to the other S15 ECU?

so then you have confirmed that the wiring harness is okay

ADM/JDM S15 ECUs have the CAS lines swapped over which is why it wont start

since you have tried pulling out the nistune board and putting the jumper back to factory just to check that... would say its the ECU

Interesting that S15 doesnt have a CLK line. Is there a CLK line on the ECU loom connector?
zrated

Post by zrated »

Matt wrote: Interesting that S15 doesnt have a CLK line. Is there a CLK line on the ECU loom connector?
i checked the ecu side and there is no CLK wire going into the loom connector.... i guess aussies are too good for the old clock! :)

small update... i took the car for a quick drive around the block and i think its the ecu.... it almost like its got a rev limiter or leaning out really bad at around 3krpm.

now if I have a spare jdm ecu, can i modify something on the loom to make it run on the adm s15?

also, is it ok for me to bridge the R020 or 021 points using solder instead of using the jumper?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

if its not getting over 3K then sounds like limp mode (if stock injectors/AFM setup). you can send it here to check

Make sure there are no shorts between tracks etc going to the ribbon cable you have installed.

if you have the JDM ECU you need to swap the CAS lines over to get it running. There might be one other wire difference also but you would need to check the diagrams

Bridging the points with solder is fine. I tend to do that instead of using resistors because its easier and more reliable
me_ashman

similar problem with s14

Post by me_ashman »

Hi, I did the same as above. I installed the type 3 board and mods (z32+550) then tried to upload a new new base tune. Problem I have is the it's gone into limp mode(i think). I tried moving the link back (j10 to j11), checked all the tracks everything seems fine. But the check engine stays on with ignition on and no consult comms.

But the car starts fine just cant connect.

I didnt think I think I made any mistakes installing the 20 pin header.

Any ideas?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

zrated had the connector strip in upside down on that ECU when I had a look at it so had to remove and put in a new one correct side up and all fixed after that

However moving the jumpers back to factory using solder to bridge instead of resistors does get consult working fine and remove the check engine light

Now if you have no consult connectivity and check engine light with no board and jumpers back to normal (just use solder blob instead of resistor) then its time to check you havent broken tracks to the 2x20 header pins you have installed

Use a eyeglass or similar to inspect each track and check that to the pads that nothing is broken. I've had to fix a few where the pad was pushed to hard and the track going to it had a microscopic fracture. I needed a microscope to see that one...
me_ashman

Post by me_ashman »

thanks for the reply. I have checked by testing from header to test points on the board and everything seems ok. But also on mine pins 2 & 4 are at short circuit ( WF 74F00 board) and I'm not sure if they are supposed to be otherwise everything seems cool. Anyways I just doubled checked my maf and the signal and power were reversed might have been the problem...I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks again.