Different Boost Maps S14 / S15

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

on those maps its using 16 x 16 interpolation

the BNR32 doesnt have scales but the ER34 does have scales... i've found that my ECU (AA500) only uses the regular boost map

I'm going to pull the solenoid (currently not used) from the car and plug it on the bench to see if I can control it

Seems to use it under certain conditions (temp etc) so hopefully I can replicate it.

Appears one of the 'unknown' consult registers for this car may also be the duty cycle being reported to be used. Will have to monitor... that one probably on the car itself might be easier
Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

Excellent work Chris!

You describe two methods of using stock solenoid. What method do you consider to be better? Using boost stability, spike resistance, fade resistance, boost repeatability on different throttle positions as a criteria? I would like to know your thoughts on this and if you add them as a conclusion to the above document it wil be even better.

Regards,
Petros.
Cheers,
Petros Katunian
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Chris,

False knock indications are not unusual. Just turn the damn thing off and be happy. My mate's S15 was the same. It was pulling timing when it was a totally std car! Hence its staggering 100rwkw power output...

I tuned an S13 the other day. It was going OK but producing very average power and "just didn't sound right". Then I was looking at a log and noticed that the ECU was pulling timing. Dammit! There were no DTC's for the knock sensor. It was obviously just over-sensitive. I turned it off and suddenly everything was good. Power jumped up by about 10KW everywhere and the power curve was nice and smooth like it should be. Made 195rwkw using a trusty T28 on 16psi!

PL
Benne

Post by Benne »

I worked with modifieing the boost map like you explained in this pdf some months ago.
It was interessting to see how the car acts, but also it takes lots of time and testing to find a good setting.
Once I had one, other outside temperatures on next day caused other boost level...

Thats why I decided to buy a boost controller which has a real "boost control" with feedback.
2001 Silvia S15 Spec-R
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

More news on the ER34 boost maps

Currently the 'knock boost' map is the only one used. The other map on my AA500 ECU isnt used

The boost pressure solenoid is actually a consult 2 register which can be displayed (but not currently)

The code uses the boost pressure and knock boost maps to control the solenoid. How exactly it does it is under investigation. However it follows two scaling indexes and accesses the required part of the map. Most of this map is flat, except where it ramps up. So I would assume 100% duty and ramping up the boost prior to that

More to come...
Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

Interesting news.

If only "knock" boost map is in use, what does the other, "main" map do? Also is there any way we can know boost sensor output voltage through consult?

Petros
Cheers,
Petros Katunian
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

there will be a way when I implement consult 2. the problem is that i've resused some existing registers, which may include this one for 'TP' register which was added at 0x26, 0x27 entries in the consult table

implementing the tables and values consult 2 was done last weekend to the existing base code but I've cut out actual displaying because its going to involve some code move/rewrite into a special consult class. thats going to be a separate subproject and i've decided to leave it for now until I've got a stable release up on the website. Currently I'm having LogWorks 3 SDK issues which need fixing so sorting that out at the moment.

the main table which I thought was 'boost' is not referenced in the code. so there is the data but nothing which reads it according to my disassembly listing

my main interest is the boost duty cycle. this is not reported, but something which i will need to measure with a scope whilst exercising the map