nistune isn't connecting to usb

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Bernardd

nistune isn't connecting to usb

Post by Bernardd »

windows is seeing the nistune board but no connection to nistune itself. any ideas?
Matt
Site Admin

need more info

Post by Matt »

need more info.... perhaps email me the logs

have a look at the following
http://home.aanet.com.au/nistune/NIStun ... cument.doc

if you get a connect ..... disconnect issue then it means that the PC can 'see' the USB chip on the NIStune board but can't talk to the nistune software that should be running on the ecu.

most likely canidate for this problem is mismatch of memory mapping. the current boards asssume A14 (pin 27) is connected to VCC

ensure you have a valid filename_nt.bin loaded in the romulator when connecting. the B700 address of the board should match the _nt.bin

if your particular _nt.bin doesnt work try one that bryant uses (i test on 88ss_nt.bin). make sure you have the latest address file

also i've just been informed - only try the connect when the key is in IGNITION but engine isn't running. i'm going to look into that one
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

i tried stinky's binfile with no luck. i can change the config to a usb consult and i get an error. other than that it just says it doesn't connect.
Russ84NA

Post by Russ84NA »

I think we had the same problem getting the consult to connect the first time. Check your configuration set up and be sure the path is correct to find the loaction. Then after the first time we had to have the key on start. If we started the engine it would not find the consult
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

I get 960 ohms from pin 27 to pin 28 with the nistune board plugged in. Is that ok?
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

error screen capture
Attachments
nistune error.JPG
(146.25 KiB) Downloaded 3860 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thats a good error message! :D

at least its communicating to your board. now make sure you are using the standard NIStune address files. anything different (offsets changed etc) and it will be toast

okay things to check....

1. look at the address file....
OFFSET=&H8000
LENGTH=&H4000
CONSULT=&H3210

the program is looking for the consult data at address &H8000+&H3210 = &HB210

2. open up and look at the _nt file you are using to upload to the romulator in the NIStune hex editor at address 3210 it should look like
00 0F 00 10 FF FF FF FF ..... that is the start of the consult table it is looking for

you will get that error if it reads all FFs (wrong memory address)

3. if both of those are okay
(a) ignition on
(b) romulator upload
(c) consult connect
(d) then start

let us know what the results are.... but at least the board is communicating. if you post the c:\nistune\logs\... log file i can look at where it is trying to read from the board and what it is reading

i will try and look into the connect whilst engine running issue. on the first time i get a CONNECT, but i also get crap data while engine is running (its reading wrong memory address?)

i dont notice this with simulated engine on the bench. however i am running NVRAM version which may be different on hardware (my pocket romulator is broken... waiting for CPU to arrive)

however if i am running the car and disconnect, i can reconnect with no problems. please ensure you are using latest software versions also
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

everything checked out. here's the logfile.
Attachments
nistune-0424-1316.log
(138.07 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

Found a problem. On the CPU header, Pin 2 goes to pin 34 on the cpu, and pin 3 goes to 37. I'll swap those around and hopefully be up and running. Also the eprom jumpers aren't very clear in the installation instructions. I'm not sure which they go.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i might emphasise in the documentation the ordering of the wires being fairly important. i know that two appear to cross over going to the CPU but thats just the way it worked out in the PCB layout

the jumpers should be both pins 1-2 connected for EPROM/romulator

later delivered boards i have used wire links instead of jumpers

let us know how it goes
Bernardd

It's working!!!!!!!!!

Post by Bernardd »

:D
Got it working. The cpu header was wrong and the jumpers were set to nvram. It's late so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go for a test ride.