Startup issue, Will not start without starting fluid.

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Startup issue, Will not start without starting fluid.

Post by Matt »

definately needs to be over 10 volts. hope your battery wires are thick enough otherwise it will drop voltage transferring the current across the car to the starter

anything below this and not enough to power the ECU and the nistune board will not run
vagabond

Post by vagabond »

Figured as much. Power wire is 2 ga @ apx 7', ground is 4 ga @ 12"s.

Since that last post I had charged it back up to a 11-12 volts cranking.

Some how the fuel map got FUBAR and was super rich (9:1) I have no idea how that was possible, as I double checked it last week. Fixed that and car idled, albeit low, for a couple minutes with MAF unplugged before sputtering out.

The only constant code I get is a fuel temp, BUT when the car dies off @ idle the TPS code flickers momentarily then vanishes. I assume that means the TPS needs adjustment.
vagabond

Post by vagabond »

bachig24u wrote:If you battery can't hold over 11.0 volts for 10 seconds that it takes to fire up I doubt it's up to the task.

without any idle control system you need to either drill a hole of about 1/8 inch (start a fraction smaller if its a 4 cyl) in throttle plate or just find a way to screw the throttle plate open a few mm's.
Has idle control, has new battery.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

As this is a starting issue, and battery issue is now sorted.

And as you need to add extra enrichment with fluid, it leads me to ask if you have increased the injector latency enough for your combo.

450cc injectors of high impedance used with low impedance injector drivers, I think you will need to double or even triple inj latency to get the engine to fire when cool/cold.

I think stock is around 560us, normally around 800us would do the trick if the inj's were low impedance.
I'd probably run 1600us as a starting point, If not sucessful, increasing the minimum TP for cold temp variables (10, 20,30,40,50 degrees) may also help.

Also, does the effective resistance total of the injector/resistance combo equal a standard injector resistance?
1/R1+1/R2=1/Rt
vagabond

Post by vagabond »

While I appreciate the response, I don't think you are reading the post carefully prior to responding. It is a 1988 NA ecu ( High impedance) with DSM 450 cc Injectors ( Low Impedance). Has idle controls, and the battery is new, just slightly discharged.

Also it is late spring here (warm)

1/R1+1/R2=1/Rt doesn't matter as it is 6 separate resistors ending at six separate injectors.
vagabond

Post by vagabond »

Went to make progress on startup from yesterday, and got the battery nice and charged.

Plugged in the PC, hit consult and synced from ecu >>> PC to Check the maps from yesterday and watch the display when starting.

Why is this happening and how is it possible after burning?
Careless

Post by Careless »

did you hit the wrong button after pressing the "sync" button on the main screen (with the red and blue arrows)?

If you have no maps loaded and you press the "sync from nistune" button, you will load dead maps. I did it the first time, but the maps are available in the folders so it wasn't a big deal.

Matt: personal opinion from designing interfaces... the buttons are kind of misleading. You have to hover over them and I'm constantly forgetting which is which.

1- there's one with a car. is it going from the car, or to the car?
2- there's one with a computer. is it going from the computer, or to the computer?

Would you like me to create some buttons for you? pm me the pixel size.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Careless,
Hahahah it's funny that you say that. It's easy when you remember that you are always uploading information somewhere.

Vagabond,
I did mean CHT temps not outside temp.
Since, your injectors are the opposite to what I was thinking I'll leave this well alone.
My train of thought was thinking that the resistance wasn't sinking enough current to suffice or the injector drivers weren't able to switch cleanly in the predetermined time but it sounds like you know/expect it to work normally.
Now it looks like you have a corrupt binary or a blank one loaded.
vagabond

Post by vagabond »

I'm definitely not pressing wrong buttons.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Matt: personal opinion from designing interfaces... the buttons are kind of misleading. You have to hover over them and I'm constantly forgetting which is which.
the idea was that if

you hit the >>> PC sync then it would read from car >>> to PC
you hit the ECU <<< sync then it would read to car <<< from PC
Would you like me to create some buttons for you? pm me the pixel size.
90 x 84 is the pixel size

i agree it can be confusing and i have been contacted about this a few times before so there could be interface improvements here

vagabond - appears your maps may have been synced the wrong way at some time. do you have them saved before they got burnt? if so then load those up and then press the 'car' button to upload to the car