0.9089 Version + new USB drivers - Please read

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

0.9089 Version + new USB drivers - Please read

Post by Matt »

USB boards now have newer FTDI drivers

Your drivers must be removed and new ones installed from the 0.9089 version upwards

Please see the document Upgrading_NIStune_USB_Drivers.pdf in the usual download spot along with the new software

Please email me if you have any problems removing or upgrading the drivers

We are no longer using the nistune.dll/nistune.sys files, and these will use the ftdi named files for future compatibility reasons

Installs are now separte for Win 98/ME and Win 2K/XP

0.9089 uses these new drivers with attempts to resolve the issue with the USB disconnects unable to get a new handle (no it isn't fixed yet but I want people to start upgrading their USB drivers ASAP so any outstanding issues are resolved sooner rather than later)

thanks
Matt
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

slight prob with the XP drivers. antother version has been uploaded tonight.

some notes with regards to problems during win98 and FTDI serial converters

Check the PID of your FTDI chip installed on your NIStune board in USBVIEW.EXE. The PID of your NIStune board should be C7D8. This is lcoated in the .INF file entry in the latest drivers I uploaded last night and is used to locate to correlate this driver with the NIStune board you have plugged in. If your board does not have this PID, we will need to change it with some software called MPROG. Hopefully that is not the case.

If you get a connect error in regards to driver version - If you turn on debug logging and have a look for the error message in the log, you will either get

"Error: Can't Load FTD2XX.dll - Ensure USB drivers are installed" when no FTD2XX could be found
"Error: Can't Find FT_CyclePort" when the DLL FTDXXX.dll could not find this function that I require becuase of an odler version

there are two types of drivers from FTDI, VCP (Virtual Comm Port) and D2XX (Direct DLL Driver). USB converters using the FTDI chips should be using a VCP driver and your NIStune board a DLL driver. It is possible to get these confused

I have a FTDI USB-Serial converter. I've done an uninstall of both drivers for NIStune and this driver. I did this by having the devices connected and then uninstalling from 'Device Manager'. Then I uninstalled the drivers from Control Panel-'Add/Remove Programs'.... but this doesn't remove the INF files which Windows uses to automatically grab the same driver we just installed. Very annoying!

Device Manager tells you the INF files the driver uses. Driver file details indicate FTSERMOU.INF, FTDIPORT.INF and FTDIBUS.INF for VCP drivers and FT2XX.INF for DLL drivers. If I remove those files from the windows\inf folder, that will stop it auto installing next time. I also remove the NISTUNE.INF from this directory too since thats the old NIStune installer INF. So I suggest you do that after uninstalling the drivers.

* Firstly plug in your serial converter. You should now get a 'Found New Hardware' window. And then 'Add new hardware wizard' for your USB-Serial converter. Next, and then Search and then specify a location.

You should download and use the latest VCP FT232 drivers from FTDI

The latest VCP drivers for your serial device are located here
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm (Win98 is the R10906.zip file)

Unzip those to a folder and browse to that folder. This should build a new driver data base. Windows should now find a USB serial port and install that. You should now see your 'USB Serial Port (COMx)' in device manager.

* Next plug in your NIStune ECU and turn on the ignition.

You should now get the NIStune Communications device found and then ask for drivers disk. If not then you still have an INF file for NIStune existing in the windows/inf folder

Check the VID/PID 0403/C7D8 in USB View

Search for driver in the USB_Driver_Win98_ME folder and install. Let me know if it can't find the PID. If it can't let it cancel and you will get the device show up as ? in device manager. Try reinstall the device from device manager (I had to do this and then it worked)

I then had to reboot windows 98

I only have one USB port on this pc, so I use a hub and then connect both USB-Serial and then NIStune. I check device manager now and under USB devices

NIStune USB Communications Device - Properties and then Device Driver details has c:\windows\system\ftd2xx.dll version 3.01.06
USB Serial Converter - Properties and then Device Driver details has ftserui.dll (for the VCP driver)

Then I register and run NIStune

Use the address file in NIStune6802RevAB_boards\ directory
Select the USB consult device in File - Configuration
Open one of the base images (eg Z31_VG30_1988_SS_NT.bin)
Click Emulator and should connect to the Romulator via your USB serial converter
Operations - Upload should upload to your romulator the image. And then it connects to consult

You should then see PREV:10 and click on the guagaes to see the display

*** Ensure your ECU is grounded to the chasis. I use a jumper cable, otherwise vehicle electircal noise causes disconnects and initial connectivity problems. Also your USB connector should be pressed firmly against ECU casing, otherwise the USB shield wont be grounded correctly

My suggestion is not to use the supplied older drivers after installing NIStune, as you will may overwrite the latest DLL file. A virtual comm port device shouldn't need the FTD2XX.dll file so I think something might have sent wrong there.

Hopefully you wont hit any more issues with these drivers! Also let me know if you still have connectivity issues with the latest version on both PCs. I think electrical noise is one of the major causes of comms issues. Adequate grounding from USB shield to vehcile chasis will relieve this
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I'm having some issues getting the new drivers installed. I'm using the drivers that came with version 909. When I try to install the drivers Windows XP says the driver is not correct for the hardware. Fortunately the new version seems to be working fine with the older drivers.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

no probs

can you run USBView.exe (which is available from the registered users website) and let me know the Product ID (PID). It should be C7D8. If it is anything different (which may be the case on the first boards I made before I got a proper PID from FTDI) then you may need to reprogram the onboard EEPROM for the new PID

if you can still connect to consult with the current drivers and no error messagges then you may be okay
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Here's what I get.
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0110
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x08 (8)
idVendor: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
idProduct: 0x6050
bcdDevice: 0x0400
iManufacturer: 0x01
iProduct: 0x02
iSerialNumber: 0x03
bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
Current Config Value: 0x01
Device Bus Speed: Full
Device Address: 0x01
Open Pipes: 2

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x81
Transfer Type: Bulk
wMaxPacketSize: 0x0040 (64)
bInterval: 0x00

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x02
Transfer Type: Bulk
wMaxPacketSize: 0x0040 (64)
bInterval: 0x00
What's involved in reprogramming the board? Is there something I can modify in the driver to get by?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

you should reprogram the boards EEPROM. only the first few boards have older ids
idProduct: 0x6050
i've emailed you the details