Type 2 in Z32 for R33 RB25DET pinouts - document

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

some updates

* Removed DTA ENT file due to consult connectivity issues with repatching custom ROM image *
Attachments
Z32_ECU_Modifications_Direct_R33_Plugin V3.pdf
Internal changes to Z32 ECU for RB25DET loom (V3 update)
(369.77 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Last edited by Matt on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

nice one Matt and cheers for the email :)
robots

Post by robots »

Anyone tried the latest ENT ? Also, Matt. Could you pls go through all the z32 ecu on rb25 maps and ents. And only leave the ones that work ? And maybe make a small description about the needed hardware.
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

that would be a good idea ;)

ill be giving the ENT file a try sometime this week if I get a chance to get down to the dyno after work, so ill let you know how it goes :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Rev5 in the other thread now deleted. sorry about that should have removed earlier when PL had issues with it

I have not tried this one of Erics - let me know if issues, I just generated the BIN straight to ENT for this one
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

right Matt

buddy of mine came around with nice factory series 2 R33 Rb25DET

burnt that ent file to a t2,
plugged in
tried to connect,
then each time it connected and then lost connection

tried several times but no joy on that one :(

went back to the drawing board and burn the 2 ECU's i had here with the previous v5 file and it connected no probs

just wanted to give you an update
PL

Post by PL »

Hey Steve,

Yep, I had the same experience yesterday. Connects and then disconnects immediately. I've spoken to Matt about it. Looks like some code got clobbered when the file was patched into an ENT.

Next time...

PL
PL

Post by PL »

Steve,

It all seems to stem back to the TPS with these things. First port of call would be to check that the TPS Closed light is coming on. Then check that TPS voltage is as expected.

PL
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

yeah Pete your right, did the same thing with me connection wise

also with v5 it Still wouldn't rev clean despite switching the MAF option to RB25DET

Matt - any chance of another update please, gonna give it another crack as im down the dyno thursday and up in Scotland Sat and wanna test on another car

cheers
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

TPS admittedly I forgot to check

first 2 of 4 ecus wouldnt even connect :(

beginning to think a couple are dodgy
PL

Post by PL »

If you're using the std Z32 image then you shouldn't have any problems connecting.

As you now know, usually if you can't connect it'll be because the ECU has gone into limp mode. Nearly always due to board installation issues.

We had some problems with Z32 ECU's where some SMD resistors on the main board were being damaged. What happens is sometimes the original chip is difficult to remove - usually because of that damn conformal coating. If they were a bit generous when the board was coated then it goes under the chip and makes it quite difficult to remove.

If you get a bit carried away while levering the chip out then the main board will flex and the SMD resistors nearby will crack. If this happens it'll go into limp mode because those resistors are 100 ohm inline with the data/address lines. Have a look next time you've got one open and you'll see what I mean.

When removing the OEM chip always remove the conformal coating with a bristle brush and acetone. Both sides. If there's conformal coating under the chip then keep applying acetone so that it wicks under the chip and it'll eventually soften.

Also, make sure the PGM jumper on the NIStune board is properly removed. Meter it to make sure it's open. Small solder slivers can ruin your day. This has got me a few times.

Lastly - how to tell it's in limp mode. This is the main indicator when bench testing. But harder to pick in the car. Have you ever noticed that when you turn IGN off in a Nissan that there'll be a small delay before the ECCS relay drops out? In SR's it's a couple of seconds. In Z32/R32's it can be up to 4 or 5 seconds. Well when they go into limp mode there is no delay - it drops out as you turn the key off. So if you can hear the ECCS relay in the car this can be a really good indicator.

PL
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

cheers for the indicator tip

is there anyway or repairing the ECU if the SMD resistors nearby have cracked? can they be replaced/repaired mate ?? :(
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, the resistors are easily replaced. Just go to your local electronics place and ask for some 100 ohm resistors in SMD 1206 package. Should be under 5c each. :)

Hardest bit is getting them off cos you need 2 soldering irons. Or you can do what I do and use a soldering iron one end and de-soldering iron other end.

PL
steve_s13

Post by steve_s13 »

right, ill give that i go cos I swear thats what might have happened with a couple of my other Z32's that were working fine till I pulled the chip to socket them

mmmm

will give em a closer inspection tomorrow (off to bed now)
Cheers Pete
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Rev5 looked like it should work but had intermittent TPS issues still. The HCR32 was easy to patch but the Z32 TPS adjustments are more involved

I dont know the exact nature of the changes in Erics code posted here but it must be clashing with the consult changes we make. Which may mean no modified ENT file or I pull out Erics changes (to investigate)

I'll pull that ENT file out of this thread in the interim so no one else tries it out