USB Consult disconnects

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

USB Consult disconnects

Post by Stinky »

Hardware/Software?

Here's a quick rundown of what has happened so far.

- Installed Nistune for the first time. When using USB consult it would connect for a short time (usually under 30 seconds) and then become disconnected.
- I have to unplug/plug or turn off/on the ecu before I can reconnect.
- After pulling the ecu apart to check things and using a shorter usb cable the consult seems to stay connected much better.
- Still disconnects but it usually takes a bit longer (fewer errors stacking up?)
- Doesnt seem to correspond to any particular thing I do on the laptop. (logging, romulator)
---------------------------
Other things to note... maybe related..maybe not

- My LM-1 disconnects sometimes. Seems to be similar. Might be a related issue with the usb ports? No ryhm or reason for it. Just started happening a few months back.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

okay i've done an update. there is a 5 x retry on errors. if next USB operation successful then retries reset

also if you pull the USB plug, it will do the 5x retry and then stop

initially this was dying on consult register retrieval with no retry. any usb error in reading causes this to die and since its running every 100ms there was greater chance for failure

so problem should be fixed next version. longer usb cable could cause more noise perhaps and corruption?

any nvram attempts which fail will disconnect immediatley if verification failed (for good reason ... we dont want corruption)
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Sounds good. On your own setup, have you been able to log/monitor the errors? Any particular reason for them? Considering how much is being transfered I suppose its doing pretty well. I think my next step might be to use a USB2 cable with very good shielding. I'm curious to see if it makes any difference.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

let me know. to be quite honest haven't looked at the logs. but i do have them from one of my runs

i think i usually get a usb read timeout error (couldn't get data when expected from ecu) rather than invalid data

i've added more error messages in my logging for future to monitor this problem