knock sensor

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

joos14

knock sensor

Post by joos14 »

ok i had a knock sensor code, so i pulled my knock sensor off my block found that the plastic housing on my knock sensor was cracked in 2 places. i replaced my knock sensor and now my knock sensor will not clear from my DTC's it keeps coming right back on, i checked the wiring and all is well.
any ideas will be helpful,
thanks
kyle
louiswun

Post by louiswun »

did you check the resistant between two sensors ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

may still be an issue if the resistance is out of expected range
joos14

Post by joos14 »

well i replaced the knock sensor with a new one would you think its still a resistance problem?
Preston

Post by Preston »

Bad new sensor...it does happen...or bad subharness...or did you leave the key on when you installed it? It's rare but you can damage circuits sometimes when you plug in a sensor with the key on.
joos14

Post by joos14 »

nope i had the key off cuz i did alot of work on it that weekend i replaced the knock sensor and i tried clearing the code while the engine was off and key on and while the engine was running didnt make a difference it would go off then few seconds later come right back on. before i replaced the old sensor when id clear it it would stay off for a couple of days or so but then sometimes it would come on the next time i started it..
im goin to bring my volt meter home from work someday this week and check the resistance
Amien

Post by Amien »

Have u torque the sensor to the correct spec ,if not it would cause the sensor bi metal insides to deform and cause premature failure. :?:
joos14

Post by joos14 »

yea i did everything the right way, I've been a nissan and toyota technician for 4 yrs now i just wasnt sure if there was a known problem with these. i checked for continuity in the harness and the sub harness thats all good, but i did find that my old knock sensor had a low resistance below spec and i found the new one isnt reading anything at all so im assuming that it was damaged during shipping.
thanks for all the help and tips
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

whats the OHM range suppose to be for a good knock sensor?
[url]http://www.protech-fabrication.com/[/url]
[img]http://www.3rdgearvtec.net/Andys%20Videos/newsetup2sig.JPG[/img]
joos14

Post by joos14 »

500-620k for SR and I i believe KA as well