Consult vehicle test, power steering

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

RobH

Consult vehicle test, power steering

Post by RobH »

Hi guys,

Trying to get to the bottom of an intermittent power steering fault (notchy, sometimes very heavy to move away from the neutral position - even at speed!)

I've noticed a power steering switch readout in the Consult vehicle display, what does this show exactly? It operates when I move the steering wheel but I'm not sure what exactly it proves?

Is there any power steering voltage readout within Nistune that I might have missed? This would be extremely useful for my current problem as it should be 5V at zero speed to about 1.5V at high speed....

Cheers

RobH

PS. Sorry for posting three in a row!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

power steering input is just a switch input to the ECU which it uses for stuff I'm not sure about yet. Consult just reports this as a on/off but this is just indicating when the switch has been activated
RobH

Post by RobH »

Thanks Matt, I suspected as much. There is a bit of delay between turning the wheel and the switch operating, this coincides with the 'notchiness', almost as though the PS isn't working until it's in a very definate turn.

Thanks for the reply to the other prob, you may have also seen that I found had a disconnected injector, funnily enough it runs a lot better on 6 cylinders!

Festive cheers

H
Eric

Post by Eric »

> power steering input is just a switch input to the ECU which it uses for stuff I'm not sure about yet.

it's signal is used in the base idle routines and when active the IACV opens up just a little to keep idle stable...so nothing major
RobH

Post by RobH »

Eric, should this result in no rev drop when operating the steering at idle? My idle has always dropped when turning the steering wheel, apparently due to the extra load, would a correctly functioning IACV keep the idle completely stable..?

Cheers
H