LC-1 ground wire connection?

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

RobH

LC-1 ground wire connection?

Post by RobH »

Hi guys,

I just want to confirm that I've got my LC-1 connected up correctly as I find the Innovate documentation is a little unclear.

Am I correct in thinking that the calibration wire should be permanently connected to ground whilst calibrating and in normal operation via the push button switch? i.e. open circuit unless the switch is operated? and the LED is in parallel to the switch?

The thing that's confusing me most is that the LED logically shorts the switch, making the connection to ground permanent, but I suspect this is not the case and current isn't actually able to flow through the LED (?) Apologies if I'm being a bit thick.

Festive regards,
RobH
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

from my understanding, yes the ground calibration wire is permanantly connected, but it only operates when you push the button...

but now that you put that question you got me thinking... lol I'm yet to fit my lc-1 so can't confirm anything... waiting to recieve it in the next few days. hehe
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

just did a quick check up on the manual, and I think I got it...

the led will only operate when the system needs to "send energy" through the calibration wire, and that is when it sends the information about possible error's and the functioning status of the sensor (by making the led blink). the push button is for you to force a ground connection on that wire for a determined amount of time, on wich the system recognises as being the time to calibrate...

I might be wrong though... on the innovate forum's I've seen the post's like "yeah, I got it right first time" and that was by following the instruction manual...

so... don't know for sure since I haven't tried it yet... lol
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hmm..ok, thanks. You see my point about the LED always allowing current to flow though?

I'm pretty sure it's working right as it is, just want to be 100% confident.

Cheers

H
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

yeah, I see your point as it also gives me the same thought...
I guess the best bet is to wait for a confirmation from someone with the adequate knowledge... lol
Preston

Post by Preston »

Black ground wire to anode (+ side) of LED and one side of push button. Another wire from other side of push button and cathode (- side) of LED to ground, preferably the same ground used for the heater and system ground of the LC1.

The led will blink upon startup while the o2 heater is heating up. Once it's operational the led will be on all the time, unless there is an error it will flash the code.

For best results do what I did. I put a LED in an unused spot in the cluster so that it's easily viewable (mine's the spot right next to CEL since I don't have HICAS. I then put the push button on a auto trans OD off indicator i took from the junkyard, so it's on the cluster trim easily accesable but factory looking.
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

sounds like a goos idea to fit the push button and the led...
thanks
RobH

Post by RobH »

Yeah, thanks for the input. I don't have mine permanently installed so a temporary job is in order. I'm pretty sure I've got it working correctly and calibrated.
Cheers

H