Timing Retard Under Boost

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

DuoWing

Timing Retard Under Boost

Post by DuoWing »

I didn't see this asked, and I'm not sure if it should go here or for the wideband section, but I had an idea. I was wondering how much effort would it be to implement a feature like some of the MSD ignitions where you could use a MAP sensor and based on boost pressure have the Nistune software actively retard the timing map for running more boost? There's probably a few ways it could go and obviously you would need a MAP sensor, but I was figuring since with my Zeitronix I can already pull the MAP sensor info and log it in Nistune, would it be possible to add a feature like this?

Have you set your base maps for what you would normally be running, but then be able to pull timing if say you're on the go and want to run higher boost. Although I guess this is effectively what you should have already figured out through tuning.

Just a thought
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

problem is that the MAP sensor goes into the laptop, but the calculations are done inside the ECU. Its not really a function which can be easily implemented in the ECU firmware for the range of ECUs we support
DuoWing

Post by DuoWing »

I see what you're saying. You'd almost need to have it be a software side thing being able to constantly change the values on the ECU. Basically you'd have to always have the laptop with you anyway even if you did implement something like this. Makes sense. Probably still better off finding about your max boost you want/can run and tuning it out for that.