Another no Consult connect problem

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

JNM240

Another no Consult connect problem

Post by JNM240 »

Car is a 1990 Nissan 240sx, originally KA24E, swapped to CA18DET with socketed ECU and ROM tunes. Has been running for over a year and a half.

Just got the NISTune type 1 board. I installed it and got it running for about 30 minutes total. I was having a lot of intermittent connection problems. The two chips on the board would get very hot, very quickly. Sometimes the car wouldnt start, sometimes the ECU would go haywire, clicking every solenoid on and off repeatedly. But i could ALWAYS put my old EPROM back in and it would start and run fine.

Then i couldnt do anything even with the original EPROM installed, so i picked up another socketed ECU. Starts and runs fine with original EPROM, but still doesnt connect to consult, nor even attempts to start. Both chips on the board still get VERY hot, VERY quickly, so much so that i feel if i dont turn the key off in a few seconds, i might desolder them!

I own a Moates Burn1 chip burner, so i plugged the type 1 board into it and dumped the image so i could see what was on there. Well, it definately doesnt look like a ROM file at all. And it wont accept a new image either. Can you upload ROM tunes to the board via a Burner?

Anyone know what might be going on? I'd really hate to have to send the board back to Austrailia from here outside New Orleans. I just think its weird that i had the car running for a brief time at the very start and things just kept going downhill.

Any insights at all would help.

Thanks,
Jason
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

as mentioned via email the original ZIF socket may have caused floating lines with the board or there was static damage. one of the chips has shorted as a result causing the problem so a swap into an ECU using the machine drilled socketed ECU would be required