s14 ka24de ecu

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

4x4le

s14 ka24de ecu

Post by 4x4le »

I have someone wanting to get nistune for his 95 s14. He has an ecu he is saying is a 95 auto ecu. The part number for it is 23710-70F07 I cant find that in the rom pack. Is this ecu supported? Please help me out and I can make a sale!! Thanks.
PL

Post by PL »

I think you're out of luck at present. I don't have any S14 KA ECU's - I think Matt has one though. You'll have to wait until he returns on the 20th.

The problem we have is that we never got S13/S14 KA24's here in Oz so it's very difficult to source ECU's.

PL
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

well if he sends me the ecu is there anythign I can do with it to get you what you need?
PL

Post by PL »

If it was S13 I'd say yes but S14's I believe are different.

Matt has recently got the S14 KA24 ECU's working though. I see there are already some 70Fxx series ROMs in the ROM pack so I reckon if you could extract the ROM from the ECU then he'd be able to get you going. I think they take a Type 4 board though.

http://www.nistune.com/docs/NIStune_Typ ... lation.pdf

PL
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

Yes, thanks. I really hope that yall are soon able to support all of the s14 obd1 ecus. I understand that the obd2 is more difficult but as long as all 95's work good then were golden. That way we can make a jumper harness and tell the customers to get us a 95 s14 ecu and that would make it easy on them.
We have got s14's running on nistune, I just didnt realize that this rom image was not captured or double checked to be ok yet. Im actually glad that this guy offered so much information on his ecu instead of just sending it like so many people do.
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, it's always good if people can give you the proper part number of their ECU.

For some reason many USDM ECU's don't have the Nissan part number on them, so it can often be a matter of plugging into the Consult port with Datascan or something and letting the ECU tell you what it is.

Many USDM ECU's only have the big two character designation (which isn't that useful as I've seen different ECU's with the same designator!) and the JECS "A11-000-E72" style number.

Be nice to have a comprehensive cross reference of numbers but so far all I've seen is the trusty JWT list. Fortunately this has most of them on it.

PL
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

http://www.grid.co.jp/ecu_data.htm

This one is good for most of your jdm ecus. I once ordered a #62 ecu that was supposed to be for a s13 sr, it got to me and I could tell that somethign was way wrong! It had a 62 number on the front but the part number listed on that site that it was out of some car I have never heard of or cared about and it was a n/a rb20 auto.

Im curious, as i dont quite understand something. Is there really something that much different between the different part numbers of the ecus? If they are both 95 s14 5speed ecus, or both 95 s14 auto ecus shouldnt the base image be able to work on either or? They have the same address file and there are only minor (if any) differences on the bin file.

Anyways, is there any software avabiable for us to make our own ENT files and test them out to see if they work? Or is that something yall would like to keep your hands on?
PL

Post by PL »

Yes, the GRID list is a good one for JDM stuff.

Usually ECU's from the same family can have base images swapped. But try to avoid swapping manual/auto images. The S13 KA24DE is a classic. If you put a manual image in an auto ECU (could be other way around - can't remember) they will RPM limit at about 4500 for no reason!

So if it's an S14 KA24DE auto then chances are you could swap other S14 KA24DE auto images into it. So yes, I'd try the 70F05 from the ROM pack in the 70F07 ECU. I'm betting you'd get away with it.

Yes, the software to produce ENT files won't be publicly available any time soon. But if you need an ENT produced just send the bin file to Matt or myself (with something like "File for conversion to ENT" in the subject) and we'll do our best to get it back to you ASAP.

PL
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

Ok great. Ill see if he has the means to send me his bin file. Is there anything special, or does it have to be downloaded through nistune or should he be able to use whatever program he has?
PL

Post by PL »

He should be able to download it using whatever he likes. But NIStune tends to be best.

He could download the single use trial version if NIStune to do it - then he just needs a consult cable.

Some ECU's are easier than others when it comes to downloading. Some work perfectly first time. Others can be a bit touchy.

PL
Zuikkis

Post by Zuikkis »

PL wrote: Usually ECU's from the same family can have base images swapped. But try to avoid swapping manual/auto images. The S13 KA24DE is a classic. If you put a manual image in an auto ECU (could be other way around - can't remember) they will RPM limit at about 4500 for no reason!
I just had a similar case with S14 KA24DE. This is the 23710-70F07 ECU that was mentioned in the first post in this thread.

The customer has swapped a manual tranny to the car, so I thought it would be logical to use a MT base image. I used 23710-70F00, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the car now has a rev limiter at 5500rpm.. NIStune can connect to the ECU, but it complains that there are no registers configured?

The weirdest part, if you check fault codes with the light flashing thingy, it shows the "a/t communications" error.. This is obvious in a sense that there is no A/T control box anymore, but why should the manual ECU care? So I think that the ECU is running in some "safe mode", using the original A/T code instead of the M/T nistune..
PL

Post by PL »

That is weird. If it's a manual image then it shouldn't be complaining about ATX problems. If it's in limp home mode then Consult comms will not work. Same for all ECU's - limp home mode = no comms.

Best to always start with the auto base image to match the auto ECU even if the trans has been changed to manual. But you know that now...

PL