Big problem when uploading a BIN coming from a Zemulator

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Dark Diver

Big problem when uploading a BIN coming from a Zemulator

Post by Dark Diver »

Car : Eurospec 1991 Z32 TT
Board : type 2

I previously had a Zemulator which was running perfectly. So before installing my Type 2 board, I downloaded the ECU image using both Nistune and Conzult. Both files (.BIN) were the same, so no integrity problem I presume.

As I know the Zem has its own secure codes (to prevent from copy) inside the image data in the Romulator (I presume the codes are in non-used areas), I asked Matt to preload my board with an OEM image rather than the Zem's image, so that I don't have the secure codes in the future BINs I could generate with Nistune.

I installed the board and started the engine : perfect.
Then I uploaded the Zem's BIN file in the board with Nistune. Matt told me this operation only copies the maps Nistune knows, and he had controlled that the secure codes were not in some maps (I hope he did).

When I started the engine with the Zem's image, I immediately recongnized a problem I already had with corrupted ECU memory : rough idle then the engine stops, electric fan starts, and I can hear an horrible squeak from the accessories belts. Not really limp mode, but something like that.

So I uploaded another BIN coming from an upgraded ECU from Ash (but not from a Zemulator), and the engine started normally.

What happened with this BIN file from the Zemulator ? I didn't check all the maps but the major ones (timing, AFR...) were correct.

BTW, I blew my engine a few minutes after (it was 2 days ago) :cry: . I previously thought there was a correlation with the ECU problem and was about to ask Matt for a fresh new engine from Kyle@IPP :lol: , but now I think these are 2 different issues.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I remember been emailed a downloaded image from the zemulator and compared the BIN file against standard ECU code in a hex editor

There were no changes apart from standard map parameters which are displayed in Nistune when comparing the two. I concluded that there were no extra parameters added to the zemulator image

I still have that ROM image here to double check for you....

** Note ** Nistune only copied the zemulator maps into the Type 2 board. Not any of the protection stuff so this shouldnt have caused any issues unless the download was dodgy or problems with the maps

The zemulator uses the Pocket Romulator and a data aquisition device (which you no longer need)

Now once you get the car back and running again.... if you remove the type 2 board and plug the zemulator back in does it work properly? if so good that means you have confirmed the zemulator ROM image still works

Whilst in Nistune using the zemulator, select from File - Configuration the Romulator under 'Emulators' and then Operations - Emulator Download. This will grab that image again from the zemulator (send it through to me again)

Then plug in the Nistune board and use the ROM image which caused the car to run normally.

Okay now load the zemulator image you saved as ROM image 2

Use the 'comparison' tick box and see which maps are different (marked in light blue) and then check each one and see what the changes are

That way you know the differences and what you are uploading which is different and causing the ECU to go limp

For the other part. How did you blow your engine? If it was running limp it would be going crappy and you should have stopped it immediaely. It shouldnt cause any damage just doing that.

Were you driving it afterwards with a bad setup or boosting? What are the exact problems with the engine?
Dark Diver

Post by Dark Diver »

The cylinder #4 has blown. I didn't removed the engine since I checked it yesterday, but I removed the sparkplug and found : a big cloud of smoke coming from the crankcase through the piston, sparkplug full of carbon deposit, oil on the piston head, no compression (0 psi).

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure it doesn't come from the Nistune Board. I found a fuel leak on the fuel regulator's hose, just above the injector's connector #4. I presume that fuel disturbed the injector, so I ran too lean in this cylinder which blew. I only boosted at 0.5 bar as my EBC was off (stock turbos, base boost), and only during less than 1 km, but it was enough to melt or break the piston. I didn't hear detonation, the sparkplug wasn't melted.

The engine runs, but only on 5 cylinders and with a lot of oil smoke. Not easy to do a test, but I could try.
Yes, the BIN from the ZEM should be correct as I ran with it during many years. I downloaded it 3 times : with Nistune, with Conzult, with the software coming with the Romulator. They all are the same.

What I finally did, after the engine blew : I started from another BIN that works in the board, and copied the Zem's main maps with Nistune (copy from comparison to main). It works b/c I only copied datas between maps.

If you have a Z32, try to upload my ZEM BIN and start the engine :roll:

Crap, I had a lot of ideas using Nistune and making an embedded digital dashboard. I was in contact with Chineas and Taiwaneeses' manufacturers to get the proper TFT display.
You're lucky, I had a lot of new features to ask you to add in the Nistune :wink:

Now I have to rebuild first.