Changing laptop figures has no affect on car

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

r called jay

Changing laptop figures has no affect on car

Post by r called jay »

Hi all,
Obviously a newbie and I'm struggling to get started.
I've read through the Users Manual and the Tuning Basics which were very helpful but I now can't see where i'm going wrong.
I've got a type 3 board and have a Pulsar Gtir, but when I change anything on the laptop it takes no affect on the car. I've disconnected the standard narrow band ecu as thought this would be masking any probs but still no joy.
When I try to change anything on the map I get
"modification to address:000B not uploaded"

I've still got my apexi afcII installed as I want to use it as a gauge/monitor still. Would this be causing interference?

Thanks for your help. I'll keep reading through for anything that might help but I've been stuck for a few weeks now and thought I'd ask for help.

Cheers, Ben.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hey Ben

Looks like you might have an installation problem. If you are getting the message at the bottom that no changes are being made then I am suspecting installation problem

When you connect you should get

ECU ID: 23710-xxxxx REV: xx

If you dont get the second bit with the REV then you have most likely installed the board, but not changed the ECU jumper over to use the NIStune image out of that board (see installation manual for Type 3)

If you do get REV showing, then please send me a debug log (sticky at top of this section) so I can have a look at what happens when you connect and attempt to make changes
r called jay

Post by r called jay »

Hi Matt,

You're quite right, I'm not getting the second part on the ECU code when I connect.

But I have moved the ECU jumper from CJ1 to CJ2. Not very good soldering by myself though so i'll try and tidy that up first.
Attachments
Nistune ECU002_edited.jpg
(14.38 KiB) Downloaded 3520 times
Image009.jpg
(16.68 KiB) Downloaded 3521 times
Nistune ECU003.jpg
(146.33 KiB) Downloaded 3521 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

hard to tell from the pics but if there is no continuity then try a small piece of wire instead (using tweezers to put it on) and then solder blob that

Just need to get CJ2 bridged
r called jay

Post by r called jay »

Hi Matt,

Tried with a small piece of wire but when I go to consult I get "consult not detected"

The consult connects fine when CJ1 is bridged or neither of them are bridged but won't connect with CJ2 bridged.

Also, when I bridge CJ2 my engine bay fans come on the instance I turn the ignition on.

Tonight I've started again with a fresh ECU with a bit more knowledge and more care but I have got exactly the same results.

One thing i'm not sure of, is where i've inserted the 20:20 pins through my ECU should I have soldered them in afterwards?

Thanks for your help, Ben.
r called jay

Post by r called jay »

Matt wrote:
Check if the ECU is in limp mode...

1. LED indicator on ECU stays on (also look at check engine light)
2. Car will run too rich and will not run above 2000rpm (limp mode)
3. Consult will not connect

If the ECU with the external board jumper set to normal and no board plugged in does not work, then try another ECU

The ECU should connect to nistune without a board in Normal Consult mode, and with the Type 3 board installed and ECU jumper moved, connected in Extended Consult mode
I've found this in a previous post started by Fusion Edd, who had the same symptoms that I've come across. 1 and 3 is what I'm finding and haven't run the car yet so can't comment on number 2.

Do you know where he was going wrong and how he resolved it?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Are you saying that you've put in the 2x20 connector pins but havent soldered them in? This definately needs to be done

You are running limp mode because there is a problem communicating with the board. Make sure all connections are soldered
r called jay

Post by r called jay »

20+20 board soldered in and all working perfectly :D

I followed the fitting instructions that came with the board step by step and it didn't actually say to solder the board in, and I did consider it originally but didn't use much inniative and stuck to the guide.

Soz for wasting your time and your help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

I was going to say bring it to my workshop if your stuck, but you now have it sorted!

Ed
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'll get the Type 3 install document updated for this point!