O2 Sensor Voltage Fluctuation

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Brett

O2 Sensor Voltage Fluctuation

Post by Brett »

G'day all, I've finally got a laptop to start playing with my RB30ET, but as it has never run right since i built it i my first step is to get it run normally with basically std setup and tune.
So plug into ecu (and nistune works flawlessly) and the O2 voltage at idle is jumping from 0 vlots to 1ish rapidly. take car for spin and under load it jumps up to 1ish and is a constant smooth line on the logging. Get to a constant partial throttle position and then it starts jumping from zero to 1 again.
Now is this purely a broken wire on 02 sensor circuit (of which i cannot find) or could it be caused by something else?
Thanks in advance.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hey Brett

That is normal... its called closed loop

O2 narrow band sensor reads exhaust gas. If < 14.7:1 Air fuel ratio then reads above 0.5 volts otherwise below 0.5 volts

The ECU uses the 'read' voltage to inject mixtures to then achieve the opposite to maintain AFRs around 14.7:1 when in closed loop mode

It looks cyclic when it occurs and is normal. Do some google searching on narrow band sensors and closed loop for more information

When cold or accelerating or in a 'open loop' part of the map this will generally read really lean or really rich

When tuning, we usually disable closed loop by disabling flags in fuel map or using O2 feedback temperature / switches
Brett

Post by Brett »

ahah who's silly then :oops:
I was under the impression the sensor would be giving a constant output nonstop (if within its working range) especially when in closed loop cos it should be trying to achieve lambda 1 and therefore be within range.
Ha much to learn.
Brett

Post by Brett »

After looking at a log a bit harder noticed coolant stuck at 38 degrees.
Turns out someone had "tuned" the car via 1kohm resistor in collant temp circuit. ECU therefore never gave fault code when sensor checked directly said it was fine. Lesson learnt always check sensors at ecu end.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thats an interesting one. I'm hoping whoever installed it wasnt meant to do something like those Ebay air intake resistor modifications which are meant to reference different parts of the maps to get more timing on MAP sensor based vehicles
Brett

Post by Brett »

Once i removed it the car runs much better now and no longer covers rear bumper in black soot. Spose i should check the AFM loom incase they "Tuned" that as well.
On a side note the dick smith catalog 06/07 has the wrong colours on the resistor chart.