Faulty knock detection and disabled flag

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Shaker

Re: Faulty knock detection and disabled flag

Post by Shaker »

Hi!

If this option is still unavailable (not clickable), is there something wrong with the connection (cable) from the ECU to the knock sensor? Wouldn't the ECU display some errors in the consult window then? It doesn't display any message so far in my case.

I've been experiencing this for days now with 1.2.62, but haven't tried 1.2.64 connected to the ECU yet.
nistune 1.2.64 screenshot 2.png
(28.76 KiB) Downloaded 5380 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No there wouldnt be. Please try new version. I already have confirmed it was an issue with 1.2.62 version when log player opened it stopped it working
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Oh, you meant 'once and for always'? I thought, only as long as the instance is running. That's why I tried restarting nistune, still didn't work. Alright, in a few hours I will have 1.2.64 in the car...

EDIT: Yes, knock count is back, thanks a lot! 8)
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

I'm afraid, it's still buggy. When I upload a map, knock is "generated" or counted in the very cell that's active in that moment. When the engine is off while uploading, it's the left cell at the bottom (0/0). It turns purple, when "Mark knocking" is on.

It's the same behaviour like in my first video at 00:15 / 00:16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8pkjvEPeSo

:?:
STATUS

Post by STATUS »

I would not trust the software or engine reporting on these old ecus regardless.... the wiring in those old things is horrendous and forever giving erroneous data (especially due to noise).

I would look at buying a set of knock ears, plex or G4 knock block to do it properly.

doing 3 or 4 cars a day everyday like we do you soon realise what ecus and cars to trust and which ones are not worth pursuing.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Tested again today on CA18DET (various RPM/load range, whilst engine running, latest software) and count did not increase. Not sure what going on with yours?

The counting issue glitch itself happens due to the upload overwriting the memory space where the count parameter is stored. Latest version clears out the count variable after the upload, so I am not sure why it is increasing on yours still

Anyway as Trent has mentioned, the internal ECU knock count cannot be relied upon since it is basically a narrow band filter which increases the count when _any_ noise goes through it. Use some decent knock sensing equipment rather than rely on this. Why I have not pursued reporting knock count on the other later model ECUs
Shaker

Post by Shaker »

Ok, alright, thanks. An older info I gathererd here was, that the knock sensor of the CA18 is doing quite well in general.

I dunno either why mine is counting knock during map upload even while the engine is off...