Check Engine Vehicle Speed Sensor when tuning TID in Nistune

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

NeWT

Check Engine Vehicle Speed Sensor when tuning TID in Nistune

Post by NeWT »

Hi, Matt. I've got a very strange problem. I have Check Engine light with "vehicle speed sensor" error but only when I'm tweaking a TID parameter in a new version of Nistune. Maybe you could help me.

Axioms:
- the car is near stock - no engine/transmission swaps
- no problems with wiring - I've checked all pins of speed signal with oscilloscope. Sensor at gearbox -> Dashboard. Then Dashboard to ECU, to HICAS ECU and to diag plug.
- The car is R34 GTT Coupe MT + TCS/ABS + HICAS. It is restyle (2001 year of production), so I have AA560 ECU.

Prehistory:
Phase 1 - Stock ECU AA560 MT without Nistune board - I'm using just Nissan Data Scan (NDS).
Everything works, no Check Engine lamp. Speed cut at 180kmph works, HICAS works. BUT - I can't see speed in NDS. I thought, it was a bug in NDS.

Phase 2 - Stock ECU AA560 MT + Nistune. MAF and injectors replaced, so a program is made with "classic" K constant changing method.
Everything works, no errors and Check Engines but I can't see speed in Nistune consult gauges too. Speed register activated ofcourse. Here I still think that it is a bug of software.

Phase 3 - Stock ECU AA560 MT + Nistune (new AA560.ent flashed). MAF and injectors replaced (all hardware is the same), so a program is made with "modern" TID + K changing.

Here I have a Check Engine (vehicle speed sensor) light at the moment, right after a riding start. I can reset DTC, but it flashes again when I start to drive. Ofcourse, I can't see speed in Nistune gauge (but there are a speed pulses at pin-29 of the ECU).
I can upload a "K" version tune again to my board (not changing the .ent) - and there will be no DTC! "TID" version again - DTC presents.

Regarding all of this I think maybe AA560 MT ECU has some new address of speed register? Because everything works (speed cut 180, HICAS) but neither NDS nor Nistune can't show me a speed... And there were no problems with DTCs unless a new parameter - TID was changed. Maybe TID uses that "new speed" register?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Check Engine Vehicle Speed Sensor when tuning TID in Nis

Post by Matt »

Phase 3 - Stock ECU AA560 MT + Nistune (new AA560.ent flashed). MAF and injectors replaced (all hardware is the same), so a program is made with "modern" TID + K changing.
What is the difference between Phase 2 + Phase 3? Unless you loaded AA56F Feature Pack the reflashes should be identical

AA560 did have a minor change (moving TP from one consult table to another) but no other changes were made
Here I have a Check Engine (vehicle speed sensor) light at the moment, right after a riding start. I can reset DTC, but it flashes again when I start to drive. Ofcourse, I can't see speed in Nistune gauge (but there are a speed pulses at pin-29 of the ECU).
You definitely have a speed input issue to your ECU. Even if you are getting pulses (should be 12V square wave pulse checked with a scope). If that is not working there may be an issue with the ECU itself
I can upload a "K" version tune again to my board (not changing the .ent) - and there will be no DTC! "TID" version again - DTC presents.
Compare the TID / K version using compare button to see if you have differences in DTC filtering and other items. There is probably other differences in the tunes between TID

TID is just another parameter which exists in the ECU which is now available for change from the software. It does not affect the ECU unless you change it
Regarding all of this I think maybe AA560 MT ECU has some new address of speed register?
Consult table stays the same in all these ECUs as well as registers. That is a bit of an assumption. See attached images of AA560 which I loaded in an ECU to disprove this

TID doesnt use the speed register. Put it back to default value to prove this
Because everything works (speed cut 180, HICAS) but neither NDS nor Nistune can't show me a speed... And there were no problems with DTCs unless a new parameter - TID was changed. Maybe TID uses that "new speed" register?
HICAS operates outside the ECU. Speed cut is used by the ECU (but are you sure it is the speed cut operating?)
TID does not used the speed register

See attached photos
Attachments
AA560_tuner.png
(106.42 KiB) Downloaded 2222 times
AA560_stream.png
(102.32 KiB) Downloaded 2222 times
NeWT

Re: Check Engine Vehicle Speed Sensor when tuning TID in Nis

Post by NeWT »

:))) The problem, probably (not tested yet), is in consult adaptor!
In my adaptor the speed pin from vehicle was short-circuited to ground... So, i've disconnected it from the pcb inside adaptor.