Nistune Flex Fuel Board, gauge option

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Seank

Nistune Flex Fuel Board, gauge option

Post by Seank »

Is it possible to wire an ethanol content gauge to the 0-5v line off the converter boards to enable an ethanol % display?

Background: I'm intrigued by this Zeitronix display; Hacker/Tweaker Gauge, for mounting in the clock location on a Z32 application. The H/T E% gauge page stats that is is 'only' compatable with ECA-2. The ECA-2 specified that it has a 0-5V analog output for ethanol content. It strikes me as this gauge could be wired up without the ECA2, provided the power requirement is determined.

I will need adjust the EBC to take full advantage of the benefits of running a high ethanol fuel. I like the idea of double checking the content before I turn the boost up, without the need to carry a computer in the car.

Thoughts, comments & suggestions welcome.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Nistune Flex Fuel Board, gauge option

Post by Matt »

I've got a few emails about this. Basically I've got the ECA-2 and can tell you that there is a serial output from the unit to the display that they use. So they do not use the 0-5 volt line for the display (which you were assuming)

If it is possible for someone to take a 0-5V input and convert it to a LCD display then you could hook it into the Nistune flex fuel board and display whatever you like

However the flex board we made was just a cheaper alternative to the ECA-2 without the extra frills (ie display). I'm not in the business of making a ECA-2 exact replacement without charging similar money to Zeitronix already is. Its more effort to source and manufacture different items and then support them and we would not see the returns on these
Seank

Post by Seank »

Matt,

Thank you for the technical insight. I'll have to rethink a method to determine when it's acceptable to turn the boost up.

General question (directed at all) Has anyone built a comparator circuit for a 0-5v sensor signal? I'm thinking I could use this to identify when the E% is above a threshold value? Like this one: Op amp comparator.
adamky

Post by adamky »

I'd like to have a dash mounted Ethanol content gauge without having to have 2 separate flex fuel sensor in my return line (one for gauge, one for Nistune). I'm searching for any gauge options that will work with the same sensor, OR any aftermarket gauges with a sensor that can be used with Nistune. Is anyone aware of such an option? Innovate has a couple of combo gauges now that give you the options for sensors like a wideband and an ethanol content sensor (as well as vacuum/boost, or fuel pressure, of fuel temp) all going back to one gauge. This would be perfect as I could replace my LC-1 and gauge with this and still display AFR as well as ethanol content without having to figure out where to put another gauge... :?

I searched this topic but didn't find any threads about this other than this one.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Just use the ECA-2 from Zeitronix

It will read the ethanol content, display it and also has 5V output which connects into your Nistune ECU (see feature pack hardware install guide). No second harness/sensor required
adamky

Post by adamky »

Thanks Matt. I should have looked at the documentation where it explains that clearly. Sorry!
Grant Smith

Post by Grant Smith »

I found an easy way to do what the OP was trying to do, and it reads identical to the nistune content in the software. Adding this device with the nistune flex converter gave me a gauge readout I can leave in my glovebox

https://www.amazon.ca/NOYITO-Transmitte ... B07CZ74LN5
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Nice and simple solution. Just need to make up a box for it