Nistune base map stable enough for daily?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

skids14

Nistune base map stable enough for daily?

Post by skids14 »

Hello all!
I did not find a page where I could introduce myself. My name is Jay and I just got myself an S14 turbo. I'm located in the Netherlands.
I'm obviously completely new to the idea of tuning the car myself, so yes, I still have a looooott of reading to do before I really start calibrating my car.

The thing is though, I just received my individual license, and I got a nistune ecu sitting in the car with the wrong map so its just sitting there.
My question is obviously already in the title, but it goes further.

I've also got a z32 maf sitting around waiting to get installed. So my question is, can i install the z32 maf (and select it in nistune) and run safely on a nistune base map from the rom pack as a daily driver with NO further calibrations/changes to the map?
I do have an aem wideband and a full exhaust waiting to go in, but it's going to take a while before I've got it all set up. I just want to be able to drive it for the mean time.

So to sum it up, can i:
- load s14 sr20det base map
- change maf to z32
- burn map into ecu
- drive safely with no means to monitor afr

The conditions:
- 1000mbar ambient pressure, no hills
- 95 ron fuel
- completely stock s14: small side mount intercooler, fuel press at 3 bar, 370cc, z32 maf + apexi filter, completely stock exhaust

Thanks in advance,
Jay
skids14

Re: Nistune base map stable enough for daily?

Post by skids14 »

Does anyone know?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Jay

It wont be possible just to change the MAF for several reasons:
1. Changing the MAF changes the total fuel injection amount (K constant) which Nistune provides an estimate between old/new MAFs. A selection of the MAFs have been calibrated based on my vehicle, but there is the possibility for a lean tune as a result of adjusting the MAF alone

2. Changing the K constant affects the TP scales. If you select the 'TP scale' box it will rescale the fuel and timing maps but will need checking again.

Normally we would advise upgrading the injectors the same time to reduce the total % change associated TP scaling (since there are other tables which use TP like O2 feedback, acceleration enrichment and knock sensing)
skids14

Post by skids14 »

Hi matt, thanks for shedding some light on the matter. I guess i will wait till i have larger injectors to go with the upgrade to the maf.

Is it possible though to run on the nistune base map reliably? Im not sure if such a question gets asked frequently. In a month or 2 i would have my wideband installed and i would be able to monitor afr's. Its just that im very anxious to drive my car as its sitting in the garage with a nistune ecu with the wrong map on it (upgraded to 550cc and td04 turbo if i remember correctly)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I would not advise running on boost on a base map if the AFRs end up being too lean you may cause detonation
skids14

Post by skids14 »

Okay, so the base map really isn't stable even for a stock unmodified engine.

What about the original Nissan map that's still on the ECU? If i understand it correctly, the original map is permanently on the ECU. Is it possible to download the original map nissan intended for the european sr20det (UK ecu) and burn this map onto the nistune ecu? I would expect this to run exactly like an original ecu then, right?
If yes, how do I do this?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The base maps are stable. However you are changing the tune in the base map as soon as injectors or MAF are adjusted. This results in changes to scaling etc

If you do not change to Z32 MAF and just load in a standard S14 image then this would be fine
skids14

Post by skids14 »

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear Matt.
Thanks alot for your input.

Ima just burn the base map and keep the setup stock for now. So no bigger maf nor injectors until i got my wideband fitted.
skids14

Post by skids14 »

So yesterday I attempted to connect and then burn the base map into the ecu.

As it turns out, I have a Dutch (EDM with NATS1) 1995 s14 sr20det with originally a 75F00 ecu. The ecu I bought with the nistune board in it has a 75F00 code on the shell, but when it's read by ecutalk or nistune, it shows the factory ecu as a 74F01.

The other thing is, the cable that was provided with the ecu doesn't seem to connect to nistune. It did connect a few times, but most of the time i would get a "communications error" right after nistune identifies the ecu as a factory 74F01.
I checked the driver, and there is not exclamation mark behind it, so I suppose the driver is working correctly. I'm not sure what the problem could be? How can I show u a log file of the errors? Is that the file-config-debug sequence?

Nistune does tell me that my version of nistune would expire in 10 days. I doubt this could have amything to do with the error I'm getting. I am, however, able to connect to ECUtalk and conzult everytime with the exact same cable. Only nistune is giving me an error.

I'm registered as LJ Lee with email blue8efour@hotmail.com

After a bit of googling, the cable I have looks like this:

Btw, would I loose NATS if I use this ecu? Cause originally it had nats1. I've got this little remote to turn off an LED on the dash before I can start. It's definitely oem nissan as it's also mentioned in the nissan manual that came with the car.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

As it turns out, I have a Dutch (EDM with NATS1) 1995 s14 sr20det with originally a 75F00 ecu. The ecu I bought with the nistune board in it has a 75F00 code on the shell, but when it's read by ecutalk or nistune, it shows the factory ecu as a 74F01.
The board has the incorrect programming. Should be programmed for EDM 75F00. You may need to find a local distributor/workshop to reprogram. Shouldnt cause connectino issues
The other thing is, the cable that was provided with the ecu doesn't seem to connect to nistune. It did connect a few times, but most of the time i would get a "communications error" right after nistune identifies the ecu as a factory 74F01.
Sounds like a problem installing the board perhaps? Try with vehicle switched off and check your ECU jumper is soldered properly
How can I show u a log file of the errors? Is that the file-config-debug sequence?
yes you can take a log and post it here
Nistune does tell me that my version of nistune would expire in 10 days.
Not related but I'm working on the next verison to replace this at the moment
skids14

Post by skids14 »

This here is taken from http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/realtime.shtml

"S14 Silvia (SR20DET) 69F00 (manual) Type 3
69F01 (manual) Type 3
74F00 (manual) Type 3
74F01 (manual) Type 3
75F00 (manual, EDM) Type 3"

I would expect this means all of the above would function correctly on the S14 sr20det. Why does it still need a 75F00 program for it to function properly? If I can believe the seller's word, this ecu has functioned properly on his UK S14 which would regard it as an EDM still and thus would originally have a 75F00 ecu just as mine. Is this correct or am i missing something here?

Who in the Netherlands is authorized to instal the correct program?

Hold on for the log, I'm gonna try and generate it asap.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Check your PM
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I don't like using mismatched images in ECUs. There can be unexpected problems

Example. Last week we had a car S14A 200SX with 83F00 (ADM) ECU. Customer read the part number from the ECU wrong prior to his dyno session and a board with 80F00 (JDM) was fitted.

All seemed to run okay until eventually the car would hit a 1500rpm limiter! Many hours later after trying different stuff in the feature pack update (thought it was a firmware bug) I found even the stock 80F00 image in the 83F00 ECU would trigger the fake limiter

I found that if the ECU runs for 4 minutes 50 seconds, with the wrong image then the rev limiter would activate. So there is an incompatibility between ECU hardware and firmware for that model causing this issue

This is similar to S14A EDM owners with 82F00 running 80F00 (JDM) as it will have issues. However 82F00 (EDM) with 83F00 (ADM) image is fine (and removes NATS)