Problem setting ignition timing, can't get 15 deg. ca18det

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

smurfenglubb

Problem setting ignition timing, can't get 15 deg. ca18det

Post by smurfenglubb »

Hello. So I have turned the CAS max to the right and can only get ignition down to 18-20 deg. Consult shows 15.
I did not have this problem with original ecu. however it ran like crap with that so I can't be 100% sure.
Is there a way to lock the ignition to something like 0?
Any ideas?

Also, idle/decel timing table shows 31 deg RAW at idle. What does RAW even mean?
And when does it stop reading from that table? I would like it to always only read from my timing map.

Thankful for any help!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Problem setting ignition timing, can't get 15 deg. ca18d

Post by Matt »

Raw is what the ECU uses internally (right click to add Filtered view in case there is an offset value)

ECU timing will be 15 deg BDTC at idle, the crank timing must match what consult shows
smurfenglubb

Post by smurfenglubb »

Thanks for the help!

I have now got it from being undrivable to actually almost okay warmup and cold start by just reading here and from your tips.

When it is mapped/tuned and functional with hopefully almost 400 hp I will put up the rom image for others to enjoy.

However I still don't get why I can't adjust the CAS enough to get 15 deg.
What could make it out of center so to speak? It can't be the timing belt? it would be much more off then, I think?
Last edited by smurfenglubb on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
raddy

Post by raddy »

be sure that idle switch is on at idle. If yes,timing belt is tooth off,or maybe crank sprocket have play...very rare is cas broken. At 15deg is cas fairly in the middle...
smurfenglubb

Post by smurfenglubb »

Idle switch is on, and timing belt is correct. However, now after I put everything togheter again it is correct. CAS is still maxed out to the right, but I don't care as long as the timing is set OK.

Thanks.
707redz31

Post by 707redz31 »

Did you degree the cams? If you didn't do you think you might need to? When I did JWT cams in my z31 and MLS heagaskets the gaskets were .07mm thinner. I needed to adjust the cams 4.5* to center the distributor back where it should be at 20*. My cams were retarded and I could only get 0* maxing the dizzy.
smurfenglubb

Post by smurfenglubb »

Hmm. That thought never crossed my mind.
But i have standard thickness mls i think, and standard cams and pulleys.
thanks for sharing.