Z32/RB25 - Air Conditioning FICD [PLEASE HELP]

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

User_Name

Re: Z32/RB25 - Air Conditioning FICD [PLEASE HELP]

Post by User_Name »

Matt wrote:That ECU part number is Series 1 R33 RB25DET. So it explains why no FICD output from ECU

Does consult report 'Air cond' on the consult view panel when air conditioner is on? Pin 46 is the 'air conditoner switch signal' into the ECU

There is a 'Air conditioner relay (A/C cut signal) on pin 9 however. This is triggered from Pin 46. Pin 9 this however runs the A/C relay and Aux eletric fan. That may not be triggering from this ECU perhaps? Check with meter

FICD solenoid comes from A/C auto amp which is somehow connected to that

This is not something we have ever had to deal with before with using these ECUs on Series 1. wondering if there is a problem with your Z32 ECU output (pin 9) which does the same thing as the R33 ECU

I do not have a license key for NIStune and cannot figure out how to connect while in trial mode.

I tested Pin 9 with a multimeter at the ECU plug while engine was off & on and got same results.

With A/C switch off my reading was .007v
With A/C switch ON my reading was .080v

I've provided a video for your viewing.

http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 4.mp4.html
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You can connect still in Trial Mode and connect to consult.

For the Z32 ECU. File > select vehicle > Z32 VG30DETT (1990-1992) for that ECU to look at the output
Compare this against the R33 ECU (Select Vehicle > ECR33 RB25DET)

Saw the video. There is no A/C output from that ECU since the voltage hardly changes. Compare this against the R33 ECU measuring the same line to measure the difference

Once we know what consult is reporting for the A/C input to the ECU we can determine if the Z32 ECU cannot see the signal or its A/C output is not working
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Matt wrote:You can connect still in Trial Mode and connect to consult.

For the Z32 ECU. File > select vehicle > Z32 VG30DETT (1990-1992) for that ECU to look at the output
Compare this against the R33 ECU (Select Vehicle > ECR33 RB25DET)

Saw the video. There is no A/C output from that ECU since the voltage hardly changes. Compare this against the R33 ECU measuring the same line to measure the difference

Once we know what consult is reporting for the A/C input to the ECU we can determine if the Z32 ECU cannot see the signal or its A/C output is not working

Matt,
Here are 2 videos. I believe this is what you are looking for.

Video 1
http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 1.mp4.html

Video 2
http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 9.mp4.html

Also,
I tested pin 9 with the stock ECU and I get no voltage output from pin 9 however FICD is working with stock ECU.

Thank You
RANDY

Post by RANDY »

So your resistor that you are saying should be 2K (2000) is red red black (on a 4-band resistor) is 2, 2, 0.
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

RANDY wrote:So your resistor that you are saying should be 2K (2000) is red red black (on a 4-band resistor) is 2, 2, 0.
I don't understand.

Matt,
Happen to look at the vids?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Not yet. I'll have a look on Saturday. My bandwidth is throttled until then :roll:
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Matt wrote:Not yet. I'll have a look on Saturday. My bandwidth is throttled until then :roll:
Ok great, hopefully we can pinpoint the problem and get it resolved.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Which ECU did you have plugged in when you took the video? If this is on the Z32 ECU, could you also see if there is a FICD signal on the R33 ECU?

We can see what when you turn on the Air conditioner (pin 46 pin input) that the ECU in question reports seeing this signal, and subsequently activates the FICD solenoid (Contained in consult Digital Register 3)

The A/C fan is activated separately and in this video is not turned on probably because of the coolant temperature not reaching high levels. This is fine which is why there is out output from pin 9, because the relay is not activating.

Now if this was a video of the Z32 there is FICD output on pin 33 which if you probe will activate when the A/C compressor is running. On a S1 RB35 however, this is connected to the exhaust warning lamp which is disconnected as part of the install procedure

There is no FICD output on the series 1 diagram. This is where I am confused.

Let us know about the R33 ECU if there is a FICD output. Also find what colour wires are plugged into the FICD solenoid and attempt to trace back and find the same coloured wire at your ECU plug.
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Matt, the previous videos were of the Z32 ECU. I have now taken a video using the R33 ECU however when using this ECU I did not have the option to display IACV-FICD s/v.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k58 ... 71979c.mp4

Thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That explains this - because there is no FICD output control from the R33 ECU (which is why there is no output line or FICD consult parameter showing in the video)

From you the previous posts I assume here that you do not have an R33 Skyline ... but the engine and loom which you thought was series 2 (based from first postings) which we now found is a Series 1 is transplanted into another vehicle?

I am not sure why its working only with the R33 ECU installed but there must be some other wiring/grounding issue causing FICD only to work with the R33 ECU. You can see now there is no control over the FICD from the ECU

What I suggest you do at this point is trace the FICD line colours back through the loom and check against the original factory diagram. This is the only way to try and resolve the issue. These instructions work fine for factory R33 RB25DETs but you seem to have some harness conversion which must be missing some power or grounding to FICD control which needs to be traced back through the R33 diagrams I've posted here

At this point we have isolated it from being an ECU or instructional fault, but there is some other difference between the two ECUs causing your wiring issue. Worst case get an automotive electrician to go over the wiring in the vehicle vs the diagram. FICD is controlled by the air cond thermo unit not the ECU and its not triggering because of some wiring issue
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Pulled off the IACV & FICD solenoid today.

I applied 12v power and ground to the FICD terminals and nothing happened. Should I be seeing something? I know the plunger is all the way out since its not being pushed down by the IACV but shouldn't I still hear a click? I just got some sparking at the solenoid terminals.

Thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah the solenoid should pull in due to the coil having a magnetic field on it
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Matt wrote:Yeah the solenoid should pull in due to the coil having a magnetic field on it
Fiddled around with it a bit more and was able to get it worked by applying 12v & ground and it is confirmed to be working.

Tested 12v at the plug with the stock R33 ECU and was surprised that was NOT getting 12v!!

I need to borrow or rent a MM that has continuity so i can trace the wires back to the ECU. I am on the hunt, will provide you with information as soon as i get my hands on a MM.

Thanks Matt.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

MM should be picked up for about $20 and definitely required with automotive electrical diagnostics!
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

RANDY wrote:So your resistor that you are saying should be 2K (2000) is red red black (on a 4-band resistor) is 2, 2, 0.
You read it wrong.

The resistors shown above are 2% tolerance metal film resistors.
It's red-black-red, so 2K, additional red ring is probably the tolerance coding.

Usually don't rely on the markings (too complicated for noobies), measure it !
Metal film resistor has different marking (color rings) than graphite resistor, depends on tolerance too 1% or 5% ....
Most of metal resistors are 1%

Sometimes SMD are easier, 750 is 75 Ohms, 751 750Ohms, etc ....

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/r ... ulator.php