Connecting Gigabyte s1080 to ecutalk

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Super300zx

Connecting Gigabyte s1080 to ecutalk

Post by Super300zx »

Hi

I am trying to Connect a Gigabyte s1080 (Windows 7) to ecutalk and am having problems doing so.

The S1080 has no com ports as such except but apparently you can create a bluetooth com port.
I thought this would connect given there is a bluetotth option in nistune, but have had no luck

Must I have a com port to connect the usb ecutalk cable?
Can I buy a usb - com port and steal those resources to connect it?

I have all the nistune software (usbview etc) and have run all versons of nistune (now running latest beta version) but dont seem to be able to do anything.

Anyone know the steps or ways that I can connect this tablet to ecutalk?

Thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Connecting Gigabyte s1080 to ecutalk

Post by Matt »

ECU talk cable you are using with Nistune then?

Bluetooth tickbox is to make the port scan include bluetooth devices. They must appear as a COM port inside Device Manager to communicate with Nistune

If you are seeing the port but no comms response then it could be the cable/bluetooth device
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

The USB ECUTalk cable creates its own COM port when you plug it in and the drivers install, shouldn't have to mess around with Bluetooth anything.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If the ECU talk cable is serial then use USB-serial converter

Otherwise just get a USB ECUtalk or PLMS consult cable
Super300zx

Post by Super300zx »

Hi Thanks for the replies

Yes I use a USB ECUTALK cable to connect to Nistune, it works with my other laptops no problems, so there is no problem with the cable.
With this tablet it has no physcial comms port, which is why I was curios earlier.
I cannot see a comms port when it connects to this tablet although I can see it with USBview as a serial usb device.
I have tried to uninstall the FTDI drivers and Nistune and reinstalled several times with no luck as yet.

When I try to connect nistune, it says com port 6 unavailable, com port 8 unavailable or simply not connected.

So My problem is that I can see the usb serial in USB view but that I have no comms port at all in device manager.

So how can I get the comms port to appear, what can I do to prompt it?
Any Ideas? It is Windows 7 O/S

Will a PLMS consult cable connect nistune to my 1992 300ZX AT Fairlady TT with no problems, or will I have the same problems as I am having (no comms port ?)
I notice that the PLMS is listed as being supported by WIN 7 only Vista and earlier, does that mean this cable is not a viable option?

Thanks heaps for the replies, I understand a lot more now as a result.
Cheers
Super300zx

Post by Super300zx »

Actually, I think I have got it.

For some reason the VCP driver didnt install - which is probably obvious to those who know the software since I didnt have a comport.
I went into the usb serial device properties and seen the tickbox which stated load VCP - so I ticked that and rebooted

Upon reboot it asked me for the drivers and after a bit of effort I found a new device under device manager - (a 2nd usb serial but not in the usb section)
I then told it to find the driver and showed it the way to the extracted CDM folder and BINGO - up come a Com port 8!

I think my problem has been solved (havent tried it yet - lol) and hope anyone who has similiar trouble finds this post to know how to solve it.

Com port 8 didnt work - changed to com port 2 and can now confirm it works and problem is solved!

Thanks all for the help - the fact that it creates its own com port is the help I needed to get me into looking into it further - thanks heaps cosszmo / the install docs from ftdi also helped
Regards and thanks again all who replied to help