Datalogging 10 bit stream

Any wideband device that doesnt have its own category yet.

Moderator: Matt

msaunders

Datalogging 10 bit stream

Post by msaunders »

I have made using an Arduino board something very similar to the DLP A/D unit and would like to log data.
0-5v analog in, with respective 10 bit 0-1023 output.
I tried connecting it like an Innovate (which also puts out 10 bit) and it doesn't connect.
Is this possible or does something have to be coded into Nistune?

Thanks,

-edit-
To be more clear, is it possible for nistune to read a raw value from the COM port and reference it to a custom lookup table?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Datalogging 10 bit stream

Post by Matt »

Got a link to the device. If it outputs data via a COM port then its possible
msaunders

Post by msaunders »

Hi Matt,
http://www.arduino.cc is the link. It's an open source prototyping microcontroller w/analog and digital in that converts to serial USB etc. It's very popular and common. Can be purchased at many electronic shops, even radio shak for around $25. I thought that it may be a viable alternative to the DLP A/D unit seeing that availability is local for most, and not having to pay exorbitant shipping costs from Digi-key, Mouser et al.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds good. I've put it onto the enhancement list
JM

Post by JM »

i like the arduino too. its cheap, localy available and looks easy to customize
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

How is this going?
Could someone tell me what I need to output from arduino to nistune?
What Baud rate and in what kind of format?

I have used the Dallas DS1820 temperature sensors in the past, now I ordered some freescale pressure sensors to view MAP signal in logs. I'm currently lacking information how to interface with nistune. I was thinking of implementing a watersquirt with the same µC. The basic idea is to monitor pressure and pressurized air temperature (maybe with Facet temp sensor and MPX4250). With that information I could use the rear windshield washer pump to spray some water to IC. I could use the light in washer button to inform that the pump is actuating.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Well wideband code has been consolidated into a main serial class and other wideband classes greatly simplified. This means Nistune is ready to add more units now

Which one am I looking at buying here?
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

I think arduino uno is the simplest way to go. It has everything one would need in a case like this. Of course arduino mega is also compatible but might be an overkill. Any of them will do if it has HW serial interface.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay bought it
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

Let's pump this one up. This is how I was planning to make the MAP measurements to log files. The only problem is how do I interface with nistune software as auxillary sensing device?
AVR would be nice microcontroller for this purpose because it has 10bit ADC built in and it happens to be able to point out 1024 different values. Also if Nistune had some kind of simple way to interface with auxillary devices, one could use digital sensors aswell. I guess you need to put some kind of limit for the auxillary sensors, but usually you would get very nice results with only the six reserved aux inputs.

If Nistune had this sort of ability, I see almost endless possibilities :mrgreen: For example: you could easily monitor Exhaust Gas Temperatures aswell for every cylinder and record it to a log. That would be a nice feature 8)
So, I hope you care to use some of your valuable time to allow electronic hobbyists use this kind of possibilities :D

This would be my code (haven't actually tested this because I lost my USB cable somewhere :lol: ):

Code: Select all

int sensorValue = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(A0,INPUT);
  pinMode(A1,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A2,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A3,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A4,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A5,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(A1,LOW);
  digitalWrite(A2,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(A3,LOW);
  digitalWrite(A4,LOW);
  digitalWrite(A5,LOW);
}

void loop() {
  sensorValue = analogRead(A0);            
  Serial.println(sensorValue);      
  delay(1000);                     
}
and this would be the way I connect the MPX4250 MAP sensor:
Attachments
2012-07-11 19.53.59.jpg
(150.04 KiB) Downloaded 14179 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I have to add the support for this device

Currently I'm in the middle of adding another unit (PLX devices protocol) but have the arduino unit here still in its packaging. I can start looking at that later this week once I get through a few customer things sitting here still to finish
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

Nice, it's always a good thing to have a way to attach external sensors to your datalogging system. I think after this improvement Nistune has everything you need. Right now I'm hoping for 6 sensors or more, but I think it's very easy to add as many as you want if you get really in to it.

Also nice thing is that you can use any microcontroller you like!

For protocol I think something like this would be good:

Sensor1 name, Sensor2 name,Sensor3 name<CR><LF>
value1, value2, value3<CR><LF>

So first you tell the sensor names to Nistune and then send the data, separated with commas and Carriage Return & Line Feed for example.

But I think you got it so I'll be just waiting for it.... :D
MIL-Tec

Post by MIL-Tec »

How is this going? Here is some of my electronic hobby projects:
http://malmi.ahjo.cou.fi/

I hope you want to generate some simple communication protocol for DIY persons regardless wich microcontroller they want to use. It would be perfect for more complete data acquistion with Nissan engines.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Its dragging on. I've just been porting Nistune to VS2010 and fixing bugs in the latest test release at the moment so once those are sorted I can work on adding wideband enhancements
enohand

Post by enohand »

love this & cant wait for it to be supported.

also i just got my raspberry pi, & would LOVE to be able to run nistune on linux...any possibility for that matt?