Can someone help me set up a base tune?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

datsunboy

Can someone help me set up a base tune?

Post by datsunboy »

I need help setting up a base tune for a Nissan L16E engine.
I have converted it all over to run a CA18 ecu.
the original engine had fuel ecu only.

So what is the best way to set up a base to start from? can anyone help?
Mainly because there are so many different warm-up/idle/cold start/gear/neutral e.t.c. e.t.c. maps, that won't really relate to this engine.

It is an old engine (but newly built/freshened up) so won't be able to take the same amount of timing as a CA18.
It has 210cc injectors.

I've had it "kinda" running, but not enough to sustain on its own with starter motor off.
If someone can help me set up a tune to get it sitting there idling (even if its rough), but can do it all on its own, so that I can then start to play with it myself to make it better, that would be awesome.
chris2712au

Re: Can someone help me set up a base tune?

Post by chris2712au »

what AFM are you running ?
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

Stock CA18 maf.
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

normally I would start with a check of all the timing.. and check all the zero.. check fuel pressure..

where did you get the 210cc injectors from though ca18de's were 260.. i would of thought the stock ca18 maps would of been enough to get it going.. if the ca injectors are close to the same as what you got.. what are the injectors out of ?
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

Check all the zero?
The injectors are the original l16e ones. They are hose tail type injectors so can't use ca injectors for simplicity
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

just to check the cas timing.. to ensure that it is ok..

I would start with the stock ca18de maps.. and adjust K constant.. as in resize injectors..

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/files/n ... basics.pdf

page 14.. see if it runs.. then.. set conservative timing figures.. and go from there.. but most of the stuff i know is sr20..
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, just get it started and then quickly jump in and adjust K constant up/down and you should be able to get it to idle fairly quickly/easily as long as it's getting enough air to support idle.

From there I'd let it warm up a bit and then try to free rev it a bit. If it feels good then you're probably close. If it goes abnormally rich/lean when the throttle is opened then you'll need to adjust K constant again and then trim your idle back using injector latency.

From there you gotta load it up and see where you're at.

Have a good read of the Tuning Basics guide as Chris said. Should be able to get it sorted.

PL
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

If they were all set to 0 then would the engine run at all?
I thought it would need at least 10 degrees or so?

I have read all the manuals on the site, and the problems is that I can't get it to run at all without the starter motor helping it, so can't jump in and play with the nistune.

That's why I'm asking for help with setting up a base tune so I can get it at least to idle so I can then sit and play with nistune
PL

Post by PL »

I don't think Chris meant set all IGN figures to zero. I'd just leave the IGN maps alone for now.

Try connecting and change K constant up or down (I suggest UP given that you're running smaller injectors) without starting the engine. Hit BURN and then start engine.

Is your fuel pressure OK??

PL
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

Wouldn't the timing in the CA maps be miles off for an engine that was only ever designed to run a points dizzy....with about 10deg inital + another 13 or so at full mechanical advance?
is there an easy way to simulate that to begin with? or do you think the stock CA18DE timing maps will be adequate to start?

I would assume the fuel pressure is ok....unfortunately I have no fuel pressure gauge.

I also forgot to mention before (sorry) that I am running different coils than stock CA too. They are out of a Toyota camry, and there is 2 coils, each serving 2 plugs (1/4 & 2/3). So maybe the coil dwell/duty tables are off? (wouldnt know what to change them to).
PL

Post by PL »

You've certainly got plenty of variables there! Should be workable though.

Can't see why stock CA timing wouldn't be good enough to at least start it. They're both just engines - one has more valves and modern technology but at the end of the day they're both just air pumps...

Not sure on the coils. Don't all CA's run 4 coil IGN?

PL
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

Haha yeah plenty of variables indeed.

Yeah ca's run 4 coils.... I'm running 2
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

my old celica that ran 40mm DCOE loved the timing.. and so does my mates charger.. loves it use to pull 35 - 38 degrees of timing.. and wonderful rich.. was the most powerful 1600 I ever drove.. if you were to use the CA maps.. use old injector = 260 new = 210.. see what K it gives you..
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

ok, thanks guys.
I have got it to run at idle finally!
Embarisingly enough, the reason it wouldnt run properly was because the plugs were shot...put in some new ones, and fired up sweet! (they were new ones, but after months of trying, I guess they got too fouled up to work).

So now I just need to send my Nistune back to Matt to get it fixed, and I can start tuning it to run properly!