so, heres a novel idea!!!

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

supersayianjim

so, heres a novel idea!!!

Post by supersayianjim »

well i called up the shops on the nistune support page. i called some installers and asked them. "can i pay you guys through paypal, i email you my existing map, and you tewak it to work properly"??? sounds like something simple for people familar with nistune right??

well every one of the ones i called said NO. they really can't fine tune it that way. they have to have the car present or on a dyno. one guy even said the nistune base mapa were "way off" the stock map. i informed that gentleman that i got the car to idle and i can drive around at 14afr.

my problem is wot and higher boost levels where my afr droops to 9.7. (yeah rich). thanks to my needed upgrade of my Z32 maf and 650cc d-werks injectors..

i just neet a map and maybe a tp correction and apparently thats out of reach over the email?? even though i can send logs and bin files all the nistune workshops said they couldnt do that...

well there is a company. that actually does rom tuning over the email, and ive seen thier cars in action on the street and on a real dyno.. there mostly for dsm but you get the picture..

http://www.mellonracing.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=279

how these guys can do it and nistune workshops can't baffles me.. but like i said THIS WOULD BE A NOVEL IDEA!!!

if someone can charge to finetune and even make a full map for us nistune users so we dn't have to go to a shop that is not familar with the software???

i live in m.o. none around here knows about the tune.. but if someone offered email tuning then it wouldnt matter if i was in siberia..
BlueRB240

Re: so, heres a novel idea!!!

Post by BlueRB240 »

Did you Email the guy at Emance? He is pretty good with the rom tunes.
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

Btw sounds like your Kconstant is still too high and the injector latency could go up some more from where they are.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Email tuning will never provide the results that a real-time tune will give you. I mean why even have the Nistune product if you're not real time tuning it? sure its easier than pulling an eprom erasing and rewriting it, but you're not getting the full benefit of the product you have, that's why the nistune dealers won't just give you an email tune. I applaud them for not trying to make some quick cash off an email tune. IMHO, email tunes should be limited to 'temporary get it running' situations. That's just my 2c though...
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

BlueRB240 wrote:Btw sounds like your Kconstant is still too high and the injector latency could go up some more from where they are.

well my k-constant is 280
and my injec latency is 760

tried the other day to contace d-werks for a 3 digit number to put for the latency and apparently tech was out sick.
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

CoZZm0 wrote:Email tuning will never provide the results that a real-time tune will give you. I mean why even have the Nistune product if you're not real time tuning it? sure its easier than pulling an eprom erasing and rewriting it, but you're not getting the full benefit of the product you have, that's why the nistune dealers won't just give you an email tune. I applaud them for not trying to make some quick cash off an email tune. IMHO, email tunes should be limited to 'temporary get it running' situations. That's just my 2c though...

i have done rom tuning shortly before switiching to nistune and that is truly fishing in the dark. the damn eproms were way off and the ecu didn't even read them.

if iam able to get walked through what i need to tweak then that is realtime tuning. i have a wideband and it is hooked up to nistune, i can record logs,and email maps. that is realtime tuning. i shouldn't have to drive across the country to have someone fine tune my car if they can work out a map with me over the phone and like i said with logs,and maps.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

I had a big long post written up, but i figured you seem set in your ways and won't really take notice anyway.

Firstly, you realise that nistune is nothing more than a ROM emulation device right, so its function (while much more complex) is still basically doing the same function as an EPROM board right ? No difference. So when you say eproms were way off, it was the data that was on them that was way off. But i'm sure you don't think that's the case.

If its working for you, then you keep on it.

The shame of it is that you think you've got an excellent tune, done by someone that has and will never set foot in your car just because the AFR is good, but what about optimising the timing? Are they relying on your ears to detect knock which *isn't* logged accurately? either that or you've got a tune that is conservative on the timing and thus will never be fully optimised.
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

supersayianjim wrote:and the ecu didn't even read them
Then you were doing it wrong
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

It's not that they can't do e-mail tuning, it's just that you can't properly map a car via e-mail tuning. Personally the most I will do for someone over e-mail is provide them with a base map so they can safely drive their car to a tuner. I would never want to map car over e-mail.
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

supersayianjim wrote:well i called up the shops on the nistune support page. i called some installers and asked them. "can i pay you guys through paypal, i email you my existing map, and you tewak it to work properly"??? sounds like something simple for people familar with nistune right??

well every one of the ones i called said NO. they really can't fine tune it that way. they have to have the car present or on a dyno. one guy even said the nistune base mapa were "way off" the stock map. i informed that gentleman that i got the car to idle and i can drive around at 14afr.

my problem is wot and higher boost levels where my afr droops to 9.7. (yeah rich). thanks to my needed upgrade of my Z32 maf and 650cc d-werks injectors..

i just neet a map and maybe a tp correction and apparently thats out of reach over the email?? even though i can send logs and bin files all the nistune workshops said they couldnt do that...

well there is a company. that actually does rom tuning over the email, and ive seen thier cars in action on the street and on a real dyno.. there mostly for dsm but you get the picture..

http://www.mellonracing.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=279

how these guys can do it and nistune workshops can't baffles me.. but like i said THIS WOULD BE A NOVEL IDEA!!!

if someone can charge to finetune and even make a full map for us nistune users so we dn't have to go to a shop that is not familar with the software???

i live in m.o. none around here knows about the tune.. but if someone offered email tuning then it wouldnt matter if i was in siberia..
It's actually not impossible to do, just time consuming. I have done it before.
PL

Post by PL »

HermaN wrote:It's not that they can't do e-mail tuning, it's just that you can't properly map a car via e-mail tuning. Personally the most I will do for someone over e-mail is provide them with a base map so they can safely drive their car to a tuner. I would never want to map car over e-mail.

I'm exactly the same. I used to send out tunes back in the old "EPROM board" days. And results were usually good. But this method relies on the vehicle being in good condition and having exactly the same setup as what your tune was originally done for. I always insisted that the customer took their car to a dyno and had it checked for safe AFR's and lack of detonation. But this was effectively out of my control - some guys did it (and sent me back graphs and all) - others I never heard from again.

It only takes one thing to be wrong and engine damage can result. Lazy fuel pump, poor fuel quality, incorrect base timing, dirty AFM, incorrect spark plugs. ANY of these things can cause the engine to lean out/detonate. And they are all out of the control of the guy who sent the tune in good faith. Next thing you have an irate customer accusing you of blowing up their engine and chasing you down to try and get you to pay for their broken engine.

THAT'S why tuners won't send email tunes.

Pete L
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

A novel idea indeed.
Guestimating is alot of fun and I sometimes enjoy the challenge,
only if I know the car well enough would I even attempt it nowadays though.

It's hard to get someone that may not even be technical to give you the answers you need when trying to create a tune for them. Keeping in mind some have no idea whats under the bonnet or the difference between crank bearing knock and plain old detonation.

You can't possible do enough datalogging in any ECU to diagnose all the possible faults that can occur in an engine/trans combo. You need to be there to hear those acute noises that only your well trained ears are tuned to decipher.. a dry lifter or a subtle misfire under light load, the whiring of a bearing about to disintegrate.

Some guys think AFR's are the bomb. sorry you couldn't be more wrong.
Tuning 100's of parameters is more than just AFR's.

Looked like a 'novel idea' at the time. afraid not so simple.
nissangts

Post by nissangts »

bachig24u wrote:A novel idea indeed.

It's hard to get someone that may not even be technical to give you the answers you need when trying to create a tune for them. Keeping in mind some have no idea whats under the bonnet or the difference between crank bearing knock and plain old detonation.

You can't possible do enough datalogging in any ECU to diagnose all the possible faults that can occur in an engine/trans combo. You need to be there to hear those acute noises that only your well trained ears are tuned to decipher.. a dry lifter or a subtle misfire under light load, the whiring of a bearing about to disintegrate.

^^^What he said :D . Supersayin what is the extent of your knowledge as it concerns tuning and automechanics?
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

nissangts wrote:
bachig24u wrote:A novel idea indeed.

^^^What he said :D . Supersayin what is the extent of your knowledge as it concerns tuning and automechanics?

well lets see,

-i helped swap a 7mgte into my 7m body
-owned and pretty much worked on a z32tt
-attempted to swap a 4g63t engine into a mitsu expo(failed cause i had the wrong tranny)
-had a short stint with a suby impreza
-brought,swapped,modded a n/a 89k original mile 240sx that was a auto(now a stick) with a rb20det. did all the work(minus the wiring harness).

if you are bored heres the link to my build.

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/rb-te ... -s-rb.html

-currently working on a 1jzgte sc400 swap, have the engine and tranny just waiting on the remainder 3k to get the damn thing running.

heres the link to that

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400- ... oarer.html

so iam car mechanically inclined. i don't know everything. i WILL NOT attempt a wiring harness conversion, i suck at soldering. but the remove,put back,change stuff,inspect,torque. aspect of things i got down pat(thank godness for fsm).

But this values crap is new to me. a guy recommended i take a efi course at the local school. i will probably do that(want to before txtk12).

but my car was running sweet at 22psi albiet maxing out my injector cycle and afm. but with this z32 maf and 650cc injectors now. i just simply want to return to those days.. :(
BlueRB240

Post by BlueRB240 »

supersayianjim wrote:
BlueRB240 wrote:Btw sounds like your Kconstant is still too high and the injector latency could go up some more from where they are.

well my k-constant is 280
and my injec latency is 760

tried the other day to contace d-werks for a 3 digit number to put for the latency and apparently tech was out sick.
Lower the K down some more. You have to make sure you check the auto box in the change constant window. Start lowering the K down till u get past 14.7 then do the same with the injector latency till you get it to 14.7 again. You really have to muck around with it. If you hit WOT and it starts to go lean up the K more and mess with the latency again. Download the nistune manual and follow the steps to adjusting for bigger injectors. Also hit the burn to rom button or ur just creating on big rom mess lol.